What's the deal with egg prices ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Egg prices are not a total reflection of inflation. If your buying alot of scratch, sure. If they are grass feed or otherwise fed for free then no.
Bird flu comes around ever year and thousands of birds are destroyed which causes a supply issue. I can't speak of the situation right now. My brother is a veterinarian and just retired from the USDA in November so I used to get Intel on this from him but no longer.
It seemed to play out every years in one, two or many more states.
Thus when thousands of birds are destroyed because of this infection, prices of eggs goes up because supply and demand. So does chicken meat prices.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes it would be cheaper to buy from the store, sometimes not...but hes been consistent and they're probably better eggs. I just give him a $20 when I hit the ATM and keep track of how many I have coming.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess we're lucky. Neighbor gives us a dz every week or when we ask. In return, his girls get all of our carrot tops, beet leaves, any grubs my wife finds, etc... Otherwise, he charges $2.50 a dz. They are DEFINITELY better than any from the store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom