When to start feeding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbishop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wondering when's the best time to set a feeder out for the deer. Do I wait until mid Sept or start at the first of Sept. Or am I too late to even try feeding the deer.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best is year-round. I do that now, but when i used to just feed for the season I put the feeders out on Labor Day week-end, or sometimes earlier if we got a good cold front (like now) and had the itch to get out.

T-Money

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As hot and dry as things have been, you would probably be okay putting them out now. I bet with the hot dry summer they will be hitting the feed pretty good this year.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had feeders out since July and get tons of pics of deer hitting the corn. Lots of great pictures of fawn training themselves to eat at the feeders. In a couple years...tasty vittles.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are better off using protein pellets for your deer during the summer rather than corn. Corn is 6-8% protein versus 20- 22% protein in the deer protein pellets. The protein pellets are made of alfalfa. The deer do not need corn in the summer. They need it in the winter when it is cold. Corn is a carbohydrate which helps them stay warm. I feed protein pellets during July, August and until mid September. I start corn AND protein pellets around Mid December and feed until March 1 then quit until July. Why just these 2 times????? Because these two times are the most stressful times in the whitetails life cycle. Antler King Protein pellets from Ross Seed Co. in El Reno 405/262-3456 is a good protein pellet to use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom