When to start feeding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are better off using protein pellets for your deer during the summer rather than corn. Corn is 6-8% protein versus 20- 22% protein in the deer protein pellets. The protein pellets are made of alfalfa. The deer do not need corn in the summer. They need it in the winter when it is cold. Corn is a carbohydrate which helps them stay warm. I feed protein pellets during July, August and until mid September. I start corn AND protein pellets around Mid December and feed until March 1 then quit until July. Why just these 2 times????? Because these two times are the most stressful times in the whitetails life cycle. Antler King Protein pellets from Ross Seed Co. in El Reno 405/262-3456 is a good protein pellet to use.

Excellent advice!
More protein= bigger racks in the fall.
Around my area where its all ag, and the alfalfa fields grow all spring summer and fall, + bean fields every where, get the nutrition to them without supplemtal feeding in the spring.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dennis - Thank you. I am going to be planting some experimental plots this Fall with a product that is claiming to produce up to 43% protein from its top. If this pans out this plant could outcompete most any winter food plot seed when it comes to protein. Time will tell.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dennis - Thank you. I am going to be planting some experimental plots this Fall with a product that is claiming to produce up to 43% protein from its top. If this pans out this plant could outcompete most any winter food plot seed when it comes to protein. Time will tell.

I'd be interested in it! That amount of protein would be awesome!
I used to do the experimental plots for seed companies as well, a few years ago. Quit because nothing they offered worked in the semi-arid area I have.
Might try it again with some of the new hybrids coming out. Who knows.

BTW enjoyed your tutorial:D

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - I was wondering what you thought of it. It is apparent that you are well versed in planting plots. I have been at it since '87.

Please give me a scenario of your place around Ponca City. Soil pH and annual rainfall etc. These new hybrids are doing quite well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several places, with a different soil on each. Mainly Bethany silt, Kirkland loam and Grainola. Lots of alkalai patches, and on one place its a sandy loam, with hi emphasis on sand. I do have to lime the wheat fields every 10 years or so. Main problem is annual rainfall. Lots of spring rains, then no rain for weeks and weeks on end until about this time of year when it starts getting some rain. Most people plant wheat because of this, or put in early beans, corn and milo, and try to beat the heat. Alfalfa works well because of the deep root structure that will pick up the sub-surface moisture.
I'm hearing some reports of people putting in clover with the alfalfa, as the clover roots will attach themselves to the alfalfa roots, and get moisture that way. Don't know if thats a special hybrid they are using or what.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
went to the lease today to a little shooting. while i was there i fired up one feeder with corn and some apple attractant. this weekend it is full on...fire up a few more feeders and get some small fall plots in. also going to replace all the straps on the stands and hang a few more.

btw, replace your straps! had one break last year while i was climbing up. my fault,but better than while i was sitting.

dennis, i have a question. our soil is mostly hard-packed sandy/silt. really tough to get anything to grow. any suggestions? i've tried a few things with dismal results.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
went to the lease today to a little shooting. while i was there i fired up one feeder with corn and some apple attractant. this weekend it is full on...fire up a few more feeders and get some small fall plots in. also going to replace all the straps on the stands and hang a few more.

btw, replace your straps! had one break last year while i was climbing up. my fault,but better than while i was sitting. squirrels chew on mine.

dennis, i have a question. our soil is mostly hard-packed sandy/silt. really tough to get anything to grow. any suggestions? i've tried a few things with dismal results.

First and formost, get a soil sample taken, and list the food plot seeds you want to plant when you send it in.
From your description, that is what the problem probably is. If you planted wheat, it is probably about 6" high and when matured, has three or four seeds in the head. every thing is stunted.
Is the description accurate?
"our soil is mostly hard-packed sandy/silt"
Man, that is an oxymoron description of the soil.:D Usually sandy = loose soil. Is it riverbottom or red with clay?

Latest posts

Top Bottom