Where can I practice Archery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What distances are you needing to practice at. I would suggest making a suitable back stop out of plywood. You will easily recoup the cost as opposed to the gas money to drive all the time.

For the longer shots just climb up on your neighbors roof and shoot across the yards. Yes I know someone who is guilty of this.

I'm still planning on buying a bow. I'll be throwing arrows on my lunch break at work. And at the house.

Heck. On HW 92 there is a field that was a housing development at one point. streets were cut in and not much else was done but mowing. I bet you could drop a target out there and shoot till your hearts contient. Could also call the developer and ask permission. its for sale so the phone number is on the sign.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
surely u can find a way to shoot at the house.... stand in the front and shoot through the gate into the back? to heck with what the neighbors think at least its not a gun!

You need to check local regulations.
In Ponca City, you must use your house as a secondary backstop in case an arrow misses the bales.
I know this for a fact when living in town. Now, in the country, its shoot anywhere.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to check local regulations.
In Ponca City, you must use your house as a secondary backstop in case an arrow misses the bales.
I know this for a fact when living in town. Now, in the country, its shoot anywhere.

good point.. i use my house
i have a 3 car garage and in my back yard i have a 10ftx10ft L shaped brick wall thats the back side of the 3rd car part i use :) not much of a back stop thought more like a kiss a $12 arrow goodbye if u miss stop.... u should see the pile of shattered arrows piled up on my back patio from people missing.... none of them are mine of course ;)

Reaction score
It's not that, I have a privacy fence. I just dont have a reliable backstop. I cant put the target against the house and I am worried that the privacy fence wont stop an arrow if I miss.

Ahhh, no problem. About every two years, I buy 7 straw bales. Costs about $55 or so, IIRC. Horn's Feed & Seed at the intersection of Classen and 50th, where Northwest Expwy beings, by Belle Isle, has them. Try to catch them at one of their annual 20% off everything sales.

I stack 3 on their "sides" in back, then directly in front of that, stack 4 on their "bottoms". These two stacks will thus be approx. the same height (back row *slighly* higher), and will be the same width, as they are both laid with their longest measurement left to right.

With this setup, if an arrow goes through one of the "slots" between your 4 bales in the front, it will be caught by the back row, since the intersections are staggered.

THEN, put your field point target, and/or other targets in front of the whole stack, centered.

THEN, when you shoot, start off really really close (5 yards), and slowly move back, adjusting sights, gaining skill, and getting your feel (and making sure your release is sound, if using a new release, for example). Make sure that you're in the habit of drawing the bow with the bow and arrow point down at the ground, then slowly lifting to level after you are at full draw.

Voila. :)

P.S. Warning: My backyard is setup such that there's a big parking lot and then a big field behind that if I miss the whole shebang, which I must admit I have, so it's still NOT 100% safe by any stretch, unless you're super-duper careful, so you'll have to evaluate all the facts and circumstances of what's behind the whole target stack at your place. Also, check your city ordinances. I dunno for sure if this is true, but as an example, my understanding is that it's illegal to release an arrow in the City of Edmond. I believe they're the minority though. In any event, I've been doing this for years smack within OKC city limits with no calls to police or problems.

P.S. Keep a tarp over your straw bales to keep the rain out. If you do, they'll last 2-3 years or more. If you don't, only 1 year.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the best safety stops you can get is the horse stall mats at Tractor Supply or Atwoods. They are big and thick rubber. Hang them behind your backstop and arrows will bounce off of them. Not too expensive either. Good luck in finding a spot.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good point.. i use my house
i have a 3 car garage and in my back yard i have a 10ftx10ft L shaped brick wall thats the back side of the 3rd car part i use :) not much of a back stop thought more like a kiss a $12 arrow goodbye if u miss stop.... u should see the pile of shattered arrows piled up on my back patio from people missing.... none of them are mine of course ;)

Well of course not, that would just be silly....:naughty::naughty:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can shoot almost 20 yards from my living room wall, down the hallway, through a door way at a block target in front of the far wall in the spare bedroom. LOL can you follow that sentence? LOL Best of all its in the A/C.

Latest posts

Top Bottom