Where the heck are the deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would work too...Shame there is only three game wardens for this entire county. Would love to put these jerks in the slammer for a night or two.

Won't happen. At most they get a ticket and their guns taken away. They will get them back after going to court, and paying the fine.
There are some new laws on the books that I haven't had a chance to study yet, that bring on stiffer penalty's for repeat offences.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's good to hear - hopefully if these idiots don't learn, they will become felons and end up in prison (as a lesson to the other idiots).

I don't think you can legislate the dumb a$$ out of people. Cocain carries a sentence of 2 yrs to life in prison. Sure hasn't slowed any of them down. You just make a little more money for the governer and legislature to spend.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Daylight deer movement always drops dramatically after the first weekend of gun season where I hunt. Too many people, too much shooting and too much residual scent in the woods.

I saw more deer October 1st through the first Sunday of rifle season than I have ever seen since I have been hunting. More bucks, more does, more everything. I saw deer every time I was on stand save for 1-2 times the first month and a half of season.

I have only seen 1 deer from stand hunting Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 1 deer. He was a nice 2.5 year old 8 though. Third nice 2.5 year old I've passed this year. (though I did kill a 2.5 year old 8 with my muzzleloader). Should have a lot of nice bucks next season.

I will be out tomorrow though. Might not be seeing many, but the one you see might make it worth it.

That's exactly the thoughts for my lease. We're seeing a lot of 1 and 2 year old bucks. Next season will be great if everything stays the same and they just age another year.

We're keeping a good doe population too as we're only allowing 6 does to be killed for the entire 1300 acre lease. It helps keep the bucks there.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just be careful not shooting the does! you don't want to get too many deer running around, figure 1 doe this year will be 3 deer next year and too many does can run the bucks crazy and when the cold weather hits their immune systems will be weak with posiblities of death. You can get with the game department or OSU and they can help figure out the best ways to work up to a healthy deer herd. Later,

Kirk

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I saw about 13 does and fawns this morning, in two seperate groups. They both converged on me at the exact same time (10:00 a.m.) from totallly different directions. It was funny, like they planned to meet up or something. They were feeding on leaves and low growing browse.

I had 6 of them within 8 yards. Good hunt, I love watching deer. I'm still toting my rifle in hopes of a nice buck, but once rifle is over I will try for another doe with one of my bows. They are starting to relax and getting back into regular patterns now that most of the fair weather rifle only hunters have gone home, I hope.

Madd, 6 does on 1300 acres? Are you guys underpopulated? I almost think we could shoot all the does we could of our place and never make a dent. We have less than 200 acres and have been shooting 4-6 does a year for over a decade, sometimes more. The landowners family also take a few usually. We haven't been shooting many bucks the last 5 years, until this year (4 between 3 of us, unusual). Every year we see more bucks, better racks and our deer weight has gone up 10-20 pounds compared to 10 years ago. Bucks, does and fawns all weigh more than they used too.

Even with all those deer you can still hunt all day and not see them sometimes. That's hunting.:)

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I saw about 13 does and fawns this morning, in two seperate groups. They both converged on me at the exact same time (10:00 a.m.) from totallly different directions. It was funny, like they planned to meet up or something. They were feeding on leaves and low growing browse.

I had 6 of them within 8 yards. Good hunt, I love watching deer. I'm still toting my rifle in hopes of a nice buck, but once rifle is over I will try for another doe with one of my bows. They are starting to relax and getting back into regular patterns now that most of the fair weather rifle only hunters have gone home, I hope.

Madd, 6 does on 1300 acres? Are you guys underpopulated? I almost think we could shoot all the does we could of our place and never make a dent. We have less than 200 acres and have been shooting 4-6 does a year for over a decade, sometimes more. The landowners family also take a few usually. We haven't been shooting many bucks the last 5 years, until this year (4 between 3 of us, unusual). Every year we see more bucks, better racks and our deer weight has gone up 10-20 pounds compared to 10 years ago. Bucks, does and fawns all weigh more than they used too.

Even with all those deer you can still hunt all day and not see them sometimes. That's hunting.:)

This is my first year on this lease. According to the guy that is managing it, the last few years the land was "raped" by the unethical hunters that were on it. He kicked them off and started over with me and 4 others. All of us are great friends now and we're all die-hards and are very much interested in making this an even more excellent place to hunt. Unfortunately, that means this is kind of a sacrifice year for us. Only one buck per person but you can shoot a bonus buck but you have to mount it. In other words, it's gotta be a nice one. And only one doe per person this year as well.

He wants to get it back to what it was 3 years ago before the losers that were on the lease messed everything up. And I'm fine with this. As far as what the land can handle, I have no idea. He's been hunting that land for 11 years now and knows it well and he's a great hunter... I'm not interested in killing lots of deer... I'd just like to get that monster and enough meat in the freezer to last me a while. The bucks that he has mounted in his house from this lease are jaw-dropping. Lot's of P&Y's and then some.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh, I see. They must have been some pretty big tools to hurt the population that bad in 3 years!

With only 5 guys sharing the same management goals on 1300 acres, you guys will have that place whipped into shape in no time. It doesn't take a deer population long to rebound.

Latest posts

Top Bottom