Where the heck are the deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I didn't see anything opening day. Sunday there were does all over the place where I hunt Iwatched several small groups and several singles. I finally had one cross onto my land about 7:30 on Sunday the 22nd and filled my doe tag.
The following two evenings I saw several groups of does feeding along the small valley I hunt but have not seen a buck yet.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Didn't see anything yesterday morning or Saturday evening but I was hunting a new stand a friend put up.

Friday night (at 4pm) I saw the biggest 9 point of my life but I couldn't take the freaking shot!!!! Ugh! I had my rifle and I was just there to shoot a doe! If I had my bow with me, it would at least had a hole or 2 in it! But noooooooooooooo I only had bought a rifle doe tag. So ever since then I've taken both the rifle and the bow to the stand.

No more rifle for me though as we're closing rifle season for the rest of deer season on our lease. Back to bow only for me! And I'm most certainly going back to that stand for a few evening hunts.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daylight deer movement always drops dramatically after the first weekend of gun season where I hunt. Too many people, too much shooting and too much residual scent in the woods.

I saw more deer October 1st through the first Sunday of rifle season than I have ever seen since I have been hunting. More bucks, more does, more everything. I saw deer every time I was on stand save for 1-2 times the first month and a half of season.

I have only seen 1 deer from stand hunting Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 1 deer. He was a nice 2.5 year old 8 though. Third nice 2.5 year old I've passed this year. (though I did kill a 2.5 year old 8 with my muzzleloader). Should have a lot of nice bucks next season.

I will be out tomorrow though. Might not be seeing many, but the one you see might make it worth it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally saw some today - it was a whole dad-gum heard of 'em. What sucks is that they came in the woods right about the time it got dark, so I was stuck in a tree waiting for them to move on for a long time and couldn't even take a shot.

Finally had to get down and hike out of there and made enough noise when I got down that they didn't seem to be spooked too much, but they sure as heck knew I was there and moving around as I hiked out.

Sucks but at least I know I'm not out there alone :D

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well at least i'm not the only one. I talked to a guy at Wal-Mart tonight and we both had the same stories, one or two on opening day but none since. I think i'm going to get off the public land and try some private land I have permission to hunt. Although, i've been told that road hunters are ruining the game up there. Why can't people just follow the rules?

Latest posts

Top Bottom