Where to chrono

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J&K,

I picked up some 44 240 SWC at Tulsa for my 44Mag. They feel like pretty hard cast. How fast can I push these before I have to start worrying about leading issues. Plan to pick up some 180 TC for my 40S&W next trip to the OKC, and have a the same question for this bullet.

Sorry to highjack this thread.

Thanks, Tim

Our bullets are 16bhn and are good to a minimum of 1300fps. I've had several tell me they run them faster without any leading issues.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just FYI, there are several factors that come into play on driving cast bullets fast besides bhn. One big one will be the condition of your bore. If for some reason you can't drive a hard cast bullet as fast as you want, don't automatically assume it's the bullet.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just FYI, there are several factors that come into play on driving cast bullets fast besides bhn. One big one will be the condition of your bore. If for some reason you can't drive a hard cast bullet as fast as you want, don't automatically assume it's the bullet.

That is a VERY valid point Jerry. Powder choice is another impotant factor. However, the bullet seems to always get blamed for leading, inaccuracy and tumbling. :comfort:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chamber throat diameter is probably the biggest factor in leading in rervolvers. IF you match the diameter of the bullet to the chamber throat, leading decreases significantly. Semi autos have more issues to consider. Blitzfike

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A barrel that has had a lot of jacketed bullets shot thru it will also increase leading.
Be sure to use a good bore solvent and get the jacket residue out of the barrel before switching over to lead projectiles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom