where to get corn for feeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOTLDPONY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i about stroked today when i saw some prices on corn at the local bass pro shops (10.00 40lb)

where is the cheapest place to buy corn, last year i was paying lbetween 3-5$ for a 50lb bag at some small shops. is it all gone because of the heat?

so just looking to see where everyone is buying from and price, im willing to buy in bulk for a pallet of however many as long as it is a smokin deal. need to start feeding my babys).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Almost every field of dry land corn in the OK and southern KS was disastered out this year due to drought. It's going to be more expensive this year no matter how you buy it I'm afraid. I buy in bulk from a farmer who dumps into my trailer from the combine, not this year though:( I usually keep enough from the previous fall harvest to feed in August and September and then get a new load during fall corn harvest. Most grain elevators will sell 1500lb pallet bags of wheat cleanings or bean cleanings and they are cheap cheap cheap, and the deer love it. Problem in getting your name on the list before everyone else and they run out for the year. Good luck

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do the deer a favor and yourself too and buy 20 -22% protein alfalfa pellets for $28.00/100 wt versus $25.00/100wt of corn at 5% protein. You could feed half as much and provide 2X+ the protein. They run thru feeders just as easy as corn.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corn Prices......living in the heart of corn country here in Nebraska I can tell you exactly whats happening. Its pretty easy to sum in one word......ETHANOL! Or as I like to call f&$%ing ethanol.

Yes, ethanol is driving corn prices thru the roof as our government continues to push and subsidize a alternative fuel that only an absolute idiot would think is a viable alternative. Furthermore, this so called "green" fuel has and will continue to destroy millions of acres of native prairie and praire reserve (CRP). With corn prices like they are, every stitch of ground is getting farmed. All the fence rows and timbers are getting torn out. Making the future of some wildlife species, espeically prairie species, even bleeker than it already is. Filter strips to stop erosion along creeks and ravines are also disappearing as farmers decide to hang their disc over the side bank in order to get every single row of corn in possible. I mean after all corn is $7 a bushell.

And don't get me started on the damn wind generators! Just another facet of this "green" energy that is DESTROYING OUR PRAIRIES!!!

On a side note, corn is so expensive food companies are now opting to put REAL SUGAR back in their foods over corn syrup because the two are almost exactly the same price. (IE look at a tub of peter pan peanut butter whats its sweetner now?) Why do you think you saw all those Soda companies come out with "throwbacks" containing real sugar? They are planning to make the switch in anticipation that corn prices will continue to rise and they want their customer base to be prepared by tasting the "old recipe".

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Botylpony- I would throw the 20% protein pellets now until midSept because there is NO hi protein food source for them now. It has withered under this heat. Mid Sept we should see some rain to bring back good forage. I would restart theprotein pellets again in late December until "green up" in March. This is the second most stressfull time in a deers life. Supplement the protein chow with corn. Corn being a carbohydrate will provide warmth during the dormant winter time. Does this make sense????My deer right now do not miss the feeder each night and they or something is drinking around 3 quarts of water out of my water bucket a night. I need to put out the deer cam and see what it is.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Elkstalker- You are dead on. Personally, I drink fruit juice and water and a little bit of Dr. Pepper. I do not run any ethanol thru the truck if at all possible.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the Apache Co-op yesterday and corn was $14/100lbs. Is there anything that a guy can feed that is fairly cheap. I have a stock tank (now running off of a well) located right in the middle of 320 acres of trees. I think it is the only water source within a sqaure mile. Anyways, I think I'll start feeding right next to it. I feel bad for this deer this year, seems like they'll be struggling really bad (worse) by winter.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am headed out to put some feed out for the deer. I will mix some alfalfa pellets, record rack deer pellets and just a little corn. The pellets are both 20% protein. With no acorn crop, and the drought having all the grass withered up. It will be beneficial to a healthy deer population.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTG Oklabassin!!! The drought will have an impact on deer that most people do not realize until the fall. The drought will adversely impact antler development. The animals are under extreme stress right now and they are conserving everything they can to just survive. Since they do not have lush high protein forage right now the animals will conserve all the energy they can. Rack development will be curtailed. Another reason to feed the protein pellets now. Put yourself in their hooves, would'nt you be stressed? Isn't the heat bothering you and are you eating as much as you would at Thanksgiving time??? You can get out of the heat, they can't. Put yourself in their shoes and suddenly alot of things come into prospective. Just my .02.
My 2 gallon water bucket next to the feeder is down a 1/3 each day after being refilled each evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom