Where to purchase replacement Mosin 91/30 stock and handguard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently aquired a Century built PU sniper in a trade and the stock is pretty chewed up. Mostly the issue is just peeling shellac but there are a couple bad dings that wouldn't refinish well. I'm trying to find a replacement that is either in better condition or one that is a better canidate to refinish. Other than on eBay, the only replacements that I have found have been on Buymilsurp.com and Gunbroker but the prices are rediculous. Most are $60-$80 shipped for a stock that goes on a $100 91/30 rifle.:scratch:

Anyone have any other leads or happen to have a spare matching stock and handguard laying around?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They sell on gunbroker all the time for $40-50. What I found, buttplates don't readily interchange between the rifles, they sorta fit - sorta don't. I would try to restore what you got.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They sell on gunbroker all the time for $40-50. What I found, buttplates don't readily interchange between the rifles, they sorta fit - sorta don't. I would try to restore what you got.

The cheapest stock and handguard set on Gunbroker at this point is $66 shipped. I wasn't aware of the buttplate issues so thanks for the heads up. The stock that is currently installed would probably actually look worse after being refinished. There are 3-4 really good dings/ gouges that aren't coming out...with a new finish they are only going to stand out more. At least how it sits now with the old peeling shellac that wasn't refurbed by Century it is a little more authentic looking. The feel of the uneven finish from the peeling shellac just bugs me when handling it. I really figured that someone out there would just have had a spare stock sitting in the closet after sporterizing their 91/30. :disappoin

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a PU sniper stock you would have to inlet/cut a standard stock for the scope mount as I have never seen a PU stock for sale and it wouldn't be cheap to buy one already cut (bases are set different so a pre-cut might not work anyway). Just think of the peeling shellac and dings/gouges as character. BTW, you can use denatured alcohol to even out the shellac.

Try this guy http://www.gunboards.com/sites/reichoutfitters/index.html.
current offerings, price includes shipping:
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 post-war overhaul stock, minor repairs, no bands, springs, hand guard. VG+ @ $30
Same as above but with hand guard. VG+ @ $38
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 post-war overhaul stock, NO repairs, no bands, springs, hand guards. Exc @ $40
Same as above but with hand guard. EXC @ $48
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 LAMINATED post-war overhaul stock, no bands, springs, hand guards. Exc @ $52
Same as above but with hand guard. Exc @ $61

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a PU sniper stock you would have to inlet/cut a standard stock for the scope mount as I have never seen a PU stock for sale and it wouldn't be cheap to buy one already cut (bases are set different so a pre-cut might not work anyway). Just think of the peeling shellac and dings/gouges as character. BTW, you can use denatured alcohol to even out the shellac.

Try this guy http://www.gunboards.com/sites/reichoutfitters/index.html.
current offerings, price includes shipping:
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 post-war overhaul stock, minor repairs, no bands, springs, hand guard. VG+ @ $30
Same as above but with hand guard. VG+ @ $38
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 post-war overhaul stock, NO repairs, no bands, springs, hand guards. Exc @ $40
Same as above but with hand guard. EXC @ $48
Mosin Nagant Model 91/30 LAMINATED post-war overhaul stock, no bands, springs, hand guards. Exc @ $52
Same as above but with hand guard. Exc @ $61

Thanks a ton for the info. I was planning on taking measurements of the inlet area on the original stock and cutting out the mount recession on a regular 91/30 stock instead of finding a stock that was already cut for the PU mount. There was actually an auction on ebay for a PU cut stock with handguard that went for really cheap a couple days ago but I passed it up because someone had polished the metal on the handguard. In hindsight I should have jumped on it and either reblued or replaced the metal. The last I saw the stock and handguard was only $15 and some change with a couple minutes left on the auction. :homer:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ended up buying a stock and handguard that included an original sling, cleaning rod, and all of the metal stock parts off of ebay for $45. There are still a couple areas of worn shellac on the stock but it is a huge improvement over the old one. The inletting process for the mount wasn't too hard. I just used measurements from the recoil bolt on the original stock and did the cutting with a razor blade knife and mini hacksaw. The inlet area was touched up with Bullseye shellac which matches the original finish very well.

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Sniper032framed.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Mosin_PU_3.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom