Where'd you learn to deer hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't grow up in a hunting family and am having to teach myself the ropes...everything from what to look for when scouting, to actual tactics of hunting, and cleaning afterwards. I haven't yet gone bowhunting this season, large in part because I'm a bit intimidated. I don't honestly know what I'd do if I actually did harvest a deer. I'm afraid I'd end up ruining it :)

How did you learn the ropes?

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Field dressing a deer is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a sharp knife. There are a ton of youtube videos out there you can watch to get an idea what to expect. Check a few of them out and you will feel a lot more comfortable.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you hunt? If you did go out and get one, I'm sure someone here would be happy to help you out if you got worried or confused. I would definately watch a few youtube vids though as well.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn? Shoot I am still learning. I think many of us are. Something that I have learned through shooting and hunting is that you never stop learning, there is always room for improvement. As far as the basics go, I taught a lot of things to myself and then have learned a tremendous amount through my girlfriends dad (keep in mind that my parents have been divorced since I was 4, so I was not raised being taught the ropes). I think one of the best things you could do is surround yourself by other hunters and listen to what they have to say, you can stand to learn A LOT.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read all those advertising laden Out Door Magazines.
Then just go out there and figure it out.

That's always the best way. That's what I did when I started Bass fishing. I didn't know what baits to use, how to retrieve them, which rods, reels, had no idea how to cast under bushes and just cast where I wanted to. So I went and became a BASSMASTER member, got their mags and started reading on what other people used, what it was better, techniques and just started using them and learning from them. Always helps to have a buddy or someone you know that can take you and show you the ropes.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an uncle that started me deer hunting at 12 and taught me a lot. It helps to have a friend or relative show you how. The learning curve is much better/faster that way.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first started bowhunting, I had a mentor for shooting, but any and all hunting knowledge came from practicing in the field what I learned from reading the rags and watching the hunting shows (TV and DVD). There is a ton of information out there. Trial and error of those techniques for the areas and species you hunt is the best learning tool. It takes a while, but it is worth it.

I'd subscribe to every hunting rag out there and record all the hunting shows that were on during the weekend. Back then, there wasn't a lot. But those magazines and videos would also keep the fire lit during the off-season too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom