Where'd you learn to deer hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting Pennsylvania State Gamelands. I always try an ask as many questions to fellow hunters as possible and doing is learning. I second not getting sucked into the product Hype. It is ridiculous the junk that people think is necessary for hunting.

Me too! I grew up with my GranDad being a Forest Ranger in the Waestern District of the Sproul Forest District out of Renovo. He had me in the woods all my boyhood and teen years. He knew everything.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Started hunting with my father at about 4y/o with a pump 22lr. Been hunting ever since. I think he started taking me deer hunting shortly after that. I remember years of not seeing much but it was fun being in the woods and learning what to do and what not to do.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that you don't need a lot of stuff to go deer hunting. A good knife and something to sharpen it with is a must have, of course, but you don't need a real big knife. I carry a Schrade folder to field dress a deer and keep a small hatchet and a piece of rope in my truck in case I decide to cut the deer up and put it in my ice chest before going home. I also have an old singletree I carry in the truck to hook through the deer's back hocks to hang it with. I can tie the rope to the ring on the single tree and then throw the rope over a tree limb, tie it to the hitch on my truck, and lift it by pulling the vehicle forward. It's harder than you might think to hoist a deer by hand with a rope over a limb!:teach:

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just decided to do it. Went once in 1989, had a horrible experience on public land that involved three drunk jackholes with guns shooting at a squirrel running up the tree I was sitting in at first light, my uncle had taken me in and said climb this tree it's a good spot swore it was the last time I would ever hunt.

Fast forward to 2008 a doctor in the company my wife works for invitied me to deer camp, no luck that year. I got in good with him and have pernission to hunt his land now when it's not being used by family so the monday before thanksgiving last year I am up there (deer camp is the second weekend) in a stand for about 45 minutes and shot my first ever deer... now I have watched them field dress a dear once the previous year and watched a couple of youtube videos. I had to track my buck down through the woods, he ran 300 yards after I put a 165 grain 30.06 through one lobe of his heart and his lung, then I had to field dress him myself talk about learning the hard way. Man he sure was tasty. This year the doctors family is using his land so I get to hunt deer camp weekend and maybe holiday doe season but none of blacpowder or any other rifle season, gonna try my luck with public land this year but I swear to god someone starts shooting at squirrels running up to me and I am shooting back and claiming self defense.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been deer hunting since I was 12 and I still don't know how to deer hunt.

My dad walked me into the woods in the dark, shined his flashlight on a rub and said "This is a good rubline on this trail, when it gets light find a place and make a ground blind somewhere. I'll be back by at 10:00."

I made a blind by wrapping camo netting around 4 trees, clearing the leaves and setting up a lawn chair. I sat in that blind for 2 weekends while he bowhunted. I don't think I saw much of anything, but can't remember for certain. Opening morning of rifle comes and within 45 minutes I had shot a little buck. Still not a bad spot to hunt.
He did field dress that deer. "Pay attention, because this is the first and last deer I'm ever field dressing for you."

Bow and muzzloader came soon after and progressed to a full blown obsession with deer season. My dad didn't start hunting until he was in his 30's, and the guy that took him did the same thing he did to me. "Good area, make yourself a stand."

I like this story!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm that got me to thinking....This could be do-able:thumbup3:

How are ya at driving tractors, painting a house, building fence, mowing grass, trimming shooting lanes, putting up stands, field dressing game.....for me?:rubhands:

Have you seen my stand? I am good with tools. I can drive a tractor, build fence, I would rather stay in the fields then painting the painting the house. Field dressing game would keep me really busy, I have seen how many you kill. I better stick to my dad who shoots 1 or 2 a year. LOL

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen my stand? I am good with tools. I can drive a tractor, build fence, I would rather stay in the fields then painting the painting the house. Field dressing game would keep me really busy, I have seen how many you kill. I better stick to my dad who shoots 1 or 2 a year. LOL

I hate it when my best layed plans don't work:pissed:

Latest posts

Top Bottom