Where'd you learn to deer hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will never get the exp you need by sitting at home, just go for it. Field dressing a deer isnt that difficult. You just kinda have to go for it to truly figure it out. I remeber my step dad tossed me a knife and said get after it. He watched and only told me dont pop the stomach.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting Pennsylvania State Gamelands. I always try an ask as many questions to fellow hunters as possible and doing is learning. I second not getting sucked into the product Hype. It is ridiculous the junk that people think is necessary for hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read all those advertising laden Out Door Magazines.
Then just go out there and figure it out.

Coming from a no gun, no hunting family, I pretty much did the same thing. Read all that I could, and went to the woods.
Guess what, 40 years later, and I'm not gonna tell you how many deer, later, I'm still learning.

Every time going into woods I'll come out with some new information to use the next time out.

Thats what keeps hunting so interesting.

We didn't have Utube when I started, but I'd killed lots of rabbits, and looking at my first deer, on the ground, just used a mental pic of a rabbit being field dressed, and skinned, and did the same.

Guess what? Its no different, just on a bigger scale.

Go for it, and learn:yelclap:

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am one of the lucky one's that was brought up in a hunting family. My Dad, Grandad, and Uncle all would take me with them from the time I was three years old. Granted I might not have been in a stand then but I was in motorhome with my grandad. As I got older, I was taken with and tought the "ropes". When I was 11 I got my first bow and was never successful, but I never quit trying. I finally killed a deer with my bow when I was 21ish. I have never stopped hunting and I have never stopped learning. I am blessed that I had a family that introduced me to this way of life. I am now sharing it with my kids.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been deer hunting since I was 12 and I still don't know how to deer hunt.

My dad walked me into the woods in the dark, shined his flashlight on a rub and said "This is a good rubline on this trail, when it gets light find a place and make a ground blind somewhere. I'll be back by at 10:00."

I made a blind by wrapping camo netting around 4 trees, clearing the leaves and setting up a lawn chair. I sat in that blind for 2 weekends while he bowhunted. I don't think I saw much of anything, but can't remember for certain. Opening morning of rifle comes and within 45 minutes I had shot a little buck. Still not a bad spot to hunt.
He did field dress that deer. "Pay attention, because this is the first and last deer I'm ever field dressing for you."

Bow and muzzloader came soon after and progressed to a full blown obsession with deer season. My dad didn't start hunting until he was in his 30's, and the guy that took him did the same thing he did to me. "Good area, make yourself a stand."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been deer hunting since I was 12 and I still don't know how to deer hunt.

My dad walked me into the woods in the dark, shined his flashlight on a rub and said "This is a good rubline on this trail, when it gets light find a place and make a ground blind somewhere. I'll be back by at 10:00."

I made a blind by wrapping camo netting around 4 trees, clearing the leaves and setting up a lawn chair. I sat in that blind for 2 weekends while he bowhunted. I don't think I saw much of anything, but can't remember for certain. Opening morning of rifle comes and within 45 minutes I had shot a little buck. Still not a bad spot to hunt.
He did field dress that deer. "Pay attention, because this is the first and last deer I'm ever field dressing for you."

Bow and muzzloader came soon after and progressed to a full blown obsession with deer season. My dad didn't start hunting until he was in his 30's, and the guy that took him did the same thing he did to me. "Good area, make yourself a stand."

I'm liking that sort of training.....You have to get out there and figure out what works.
What works today is crap tomorrow.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom