Which 300 WM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your not handloading, the ammo selection and prices on the 300winmag are hard to beat, and would be my pick of the 3 for one hunting rifle on a budget. I like the 300wsm, and may eventually add one to my collection, however I really don't think its ballistically very superior to a 300winmag (unlike the 270wsm vs the 270win) and worry about its longevity. I am currently handloading/shooting the 300 weatherby most of all, I love the thing, its a cannon. I guess what I am trying to tell you is buy all 3 :)

hunter_iii

New to the site!
Reaction score
It all comes down to preference & confidence. With any of the 300 mags you will have substantial recoil & muzzle blast with similar performance. All that said here is my personal experience with the 300 mags for 20+ years. With a 150 grain bullet the 300 Win Mag is a superb deer round. My father & I both shoot 300 Win Mags & probably 80% of the time we recover the lead from the deer. Comfortable for deer out past 500yds with no question. For elk bump up to heavier bullets. The 300 Win Mag is the benchmark by which the others are measured by. Granted the 300WSM is a little faster but not noticeable. The 300 Weatherby & 300 RUM are a step up but also harder to come by ammo & @ a substantial price hike.
I have heard the military is looking this year @ switching from the standard 308 to the 300 Win Mag. All in all the standard 300 Win Mag is a proven round since 1963. It flies like a varmint rifle & hits like a freight train. Hard combo to beat although many have tried since 1963.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just picked up a Howa 1500 chambered in .300 Win Mag. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems to be a very well put together rifle. Very heavy, too, which will help cut down the recoil.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd stick with the original .300 Win. Mag. Anything the WSM will do the Win. Mag. will do better. Hope you're not planning on over , say , 400yds. for long range w/factory barrel. No matter how much you pay for a factory rig (Weatherby, Remington, Winchester, the big brand names) they must not put much time into their barrels, they are, mostly, 'copper collectors'. Many things in the past were made with quality and duability in mind,,,,,, not so much any more. A sad note on our times, profit before product.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about a rem 700 sendero in 300win mag.The 300 Weatherby is very expensive and harder to find.The 300 wsm is limited in bullet weight selection and I have heard the barrels erode faster than long cartridges

I agree with the above.
I have a Sendero in 300mag that I use for hunting and long range shooting. I like the WSM also, but it was too hard to find one in a heavy barrel in my price range. The only downside about the sendero or any heavy barrel gun is carrying it around all day during a hunt.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom