which caliber for first deer rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys' thoughts on caliber for my 10 yr old sons first deer rifle? I thinkin either .308 or 7mm.08, but I have not shot the 7mm.08. How is it for recoil?
My two older boys both started out with the good old .243, but I've always felt a little more bullet diameter couldn't hurt. I know that the .243 has taken about as many deer as the next cartridge, But I'm thinking I'd like to try ,I mean he might like to try, something a little different. ( I may have to break it in for him, as momma says he can't carry a rifle 'till he's 13, But he can handle my AR almost as well as me). thanks for your opinions, and please give reasons for your choice. thanks, dan

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give you my .02. I'd go .308 if you're about to buy a new rifle and you already have a .243. It sounds like he might not use it much until he's 13 anyway and if he's handling an ar now and doing well with it, he should be able to handle a .308 at 13 no problem at all. Buy it, and if you think he needs another year or so to grow into it, send him out with a .243 and you hunt with the .308.

I don't think 7-08 is enough of a step up in power if you already have the 243 to justify the cost of another rifle. Cheaper FMJ ammo is available for the .308 for practice and ammo in general is easier to find too.

Thats just what I'd do. Good luck to you and your son.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're concerned about recoil, don't go with the 308 Win. since its recoil is about as bad as a 30/06. The 7mm/08 has significantly less recoil.

If I were you, I would go with what worked before; i.e., the 243 Win. It's enough for deer and easier on a kids shoulder than the other two. You could also consider the 25/06 or 270 Win. if you believe a few hundredths of an inch bore diameter makes a big difference.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with 30/30 but I would say it would depend size of your kid. If they can handle a .270 then that's as good as any. If they are on the smaller size then 30/30 or something simular. The 30/30 is a little more compact than most full size rifles but bigger than typical youth size.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with the 30-06.
You can buy the reduced recoil loads for younger shooters, and it will something the kid can grow into. It will easily take any animal in this country.
If you reload, you can build your own low recoil loads.
Will shoot anything from 110 grain varmint loads to 200 grain bone crushers.

I did kind of like the idea of the .30 Rem on the AR platform though..

Latest posts

Top Bottom