which caliber for first deer rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, parent is a .30-06 and I agree, much more felt recoil than a .308.

I agree with those saying the .243 is proven. But if you are just wanting to get something different, then there is much to consider. 7mm08, IMHO is going to have a little less recoil than a .308 and the BC might be a little better, but thats really not an issue with average shooters like ourselves.

I really gotta agree with the .30-06. Its a gun, depending on load, that you can grow into. Plus, I am always thinking about other game I would be able to use it on...

I like '06, but it is for a first gun and a 10 year old. I'm afraid that the good ol' '06 will do nothing than develop bad habits for a new shooter. It isn't a monster, but it kinda is compared to a .243. The 100gr core locts that remington puts out in .243 work well on deer. I shot my big one with them and he was DRT. Found the bullet in the meat on the back side shoulder. Not too shabby.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_Hunting_ae5bbd9b.jpg

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if he likes the AR, then stick with the AR, but don't stick with the 223. Why not go up in a caliber? how about a 6.8? just swap the upper and keep the lower you already have. Don't even have to go through a FFL.

I have a buddy who wants to sell a 6.8, PM if you're interested.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like '06, but it is for a first gun and a 10 year old. I'm afraid that the good ol' '06 will do nothing than develop bad habits for a new shooter. It isn't a monster, but it kinda is compared to a .243. The 100gr core locts that remington puts out in .243 work well on deer. I shot my big one with them and he was DRT. Found the bullet in the meat on the back side shoulder. Not too shabby.

You can down load the .30-06 pretty far...

And quit being a pansy, I use a 7mmRM on OK whitetail.

if he likes the AR, then stick with the AR, but don't stick with the 223. Why not go up in a caliber? how about a 6.8? just swap the upper and keep the lower you already have. Don't even have to go through a FFL.

.223 is fine for deer. SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT ;)

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

223 is completely fine for Oklahoma deer.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say with Winchester ballistic Silver-tips in .223, shot-placement isn't even that much more critical than other calibers.

I spaghettied up the inside of the last deer I shot with .223 55gr silver-tips and was seriously impressed (I was preparing myself for a second shot should the deer take off and run - got a nice-sized doe that made it only a few hops away and fell over dead).

My biggest concern has been shooting in brushy areas - sure a stick will deflect any bullet (and if you hit it early on, it makes a huge difference around your target), but it seemed like even blades of grass sent my .223 rounds off-course severely.

My father-in-law experienced the same thing (not as bad) with .243 - neither of us tree-stand hunt, so being in brush is a concern. I guess if I were in a stand, leaves might be a concern, but they're easier to see in a magnified optic than smaller blades of grass.

.308 seems to be less-affected by grass for the most part - I've purposely shot through a grassy area to see how bad it affected my shots and the .308 was usually minimal at best out to 100yds or so unless I was shooting through a brushy enough spot that I could easily see it in an magnified optic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom