Which Caliber Would You Keep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm for sure. Cheaper to shoot, more guns available, and a higher capacity in the same frame size.

This ... we toyed around with the .40 for a while. Now we are back to just 9mm and .45. Sometimes .38 if GC has a revolver (revolvers come and go around here). I really like the .357SIG round (had a Glock 31 for quite a while that I REALLY liked to shoot) but it's just too big a pain to reload.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
errrr Dr Mitch im not sure if you misread my post or what but I never said its cheaper to reload .40 S&W over 9mm nor did I ever bring up the "knockdown power" argument. I said other people have mentioned round potency but they are going to be range guns for me only.

I agree with you that placement is most important but HD is not the intent of these guns at all. I appreciate your response just as much as everyone elses though.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.40 is a PC compromise between the two calibers after it was determined that the 'recoil sensitive' and 'digitally challenged' could not handle the 10MM. 9MM and 45ACP have been serviceable for many years.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest I cant really tell the difference in recoil that much between calibers so I dont care about that. The .40 does allow you to carry more rounds than a .45 which i liked and gave a bullet size somewhere in between 9mm and .45.

WTJ the 10mm did catch my attention, unfortunately I dont see that round spoken about to often. You guys helped me make my decision so Im going to get 'em 9mm and just be happy.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest I cant really tell the difference in recoil that much between calibers so I dont care about that. The .40 does allow you to carry more rounds than a .45 which i liked and gave a bullet size somewhere in between 9mm and .45.

WTJ the 10mm did catch my attention, unfortunately I dont see that round spoken about to often. You guys helped me make my decision so Im going to get 'em 9mm and just be happy.

The 10MM is a niche round popularized by Col. Cooper and deployed as a LE round by the FBI and some state agencies. The agencies determined the 10MM was a 'bit too much' and the .40 S&W, a shortened 10MM, was created. While the 10MM can be an excellent round, it is mostly a hand loader's type caliber.

i, too, tried the .40 and went back to the 9MM and .45ACP as a pistol round. Both have also been successful as revolver rounds and ammo is plentiful and mostly inexpensive.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote keep all 3 ...and through in 38/357..for some wheel guns...Ya never know what you might be needing..(able to pick up)
Then you have to through in some rifle calibers( for the zombie attacks..of course)
OH dont forget the slugs for the shotgn ......and 00 buck
Well crap I gess Im not too much help ..Im addng calibers...what everyoneelse said then..Good Luck