Which CCW permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one?

• Oklahoma

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utah

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Florida

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

shepherm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I plan on getting my concealed carry permit but trying to figure out which one I should get. I will be graduating in May and not sure where I’m going to find a job. Right now it looks like Texas is the hot spot for engineers.
So choices are:
Oklahoma- hope I don't get a job in another state
Texas- Would have to wait before I could get it
Utah- ?
Florida-?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you don't know where you will live, go with a Utah non-resident ccl. They are cheap and easy to get, and i know OK recognizes it. Check the other states laws for their reciprocity. Pretty sure they all recognize Utah's.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either Utah or Florida. For a Utah Permit/License you have to have Training from a Certified Utah Instructor. This link will take you to a listing of Utah Certified Instructors.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedinstructors.html

With the cost of a class and the Utah Permit the cost for UT & FL is most likely about even. You do need training for a Florida Permit/License but a Hunter Safety Course or any NRA course will qualify. Hunter Safety Courses are usually very cheap.

Both UT and FL will issue by mail. As for the PA Permit/License starting about 1/1/11 PA will no longer issue permit/licenses without a trip to PA to fill out the application. They will mail it to you but starting then you have to make a trip to the Sheriff's Dept to apply. Their new law on making people apply in person was passed 5 years ago but delayed for that time so all the Sheriff's could purchase the equipment so all their Permit/licenses will look alike. Centre Co PA is reporting they will start their new program around 1/1/11 and they are the only county in PA that I know of that was issuing by mail.

If you want more info go to www.handgunlaw.us and click on "Non-Resident Permits" in the left column. That document will tell you about all the states that issue Non-Resident Permit/Licenses and how to apply. Hope this helps.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure how it works, it seems to me that if you get an OK license and move to another state, you would need to get a license from the state of residence.
The OK license would be a resident's license but the moment you move you are no longer a resident of OK.
Back in the 80s I had a CWL from another state. Somehow they found that I lived in OK and sent me a letter ordering me to immediately mail my license back to them or else.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a OK permit and you move out of the state the permit is not valid.

If you have a Nonresident Utah permit and move to another state you have to notify them of your new location and the permit is still valid.

If you want your new address on the permit, for a $10 fee they will mail you a new permit with your new address on it.

My next Non-Resident Utah CCW class in Tulsa is Dec 11, 2010 at 9am. I will post it when we get closer to the date.

Latest posts

Top Bottom