Which choke for ducks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Headin out tomorrow to duck hunt for the first time. After googling it, I found that full choke is probably best but wanna see what OSA says. I believe we are going to be on the bank of FTG lake.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on how you're set up and how the ducks are working. I usually use an IC choke for decoying ducks. I usually keep my chokes and wrench in a case in my blind bag in case I need to change it in the field. I don't remember having to do it though. Good luck tomorrow! I haven't had the chance to get out this year and we are super dry down here, but I hope to get out after new year's once or twice.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With modern shotguns and modern steel shot, I'd say modified at most. I typically go modified or IC. I really like #6 Hevi-shot. You get more pellets, so you can loosen up a choke for a bigger better pattern, yet they still have enough energy to penetrate down range.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind steel shot usually patterns a little tighter than lead in the same choke. Therefore an improved cylinder with steel will likely pattern similar to lead in a modified choke. Decoying ducks on non pressured water hole an improved cylinder will be perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom