Which choke for ducks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAINT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting an over/under with modified, and improved modified. I like using tighter chokes because it makes me aim more precise and there are less cripples.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IC stays in my gun for everything but turkey hunting. steel does not conform as it exits the choke like lead does. it will crash together at the choke and be forced out of the choke. sometimes causing stuck tubes or even bulging of the barrel. good luck on your hunt.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a multitude of factors that determine what choke to use for waterfowl hunting. If I'm hunting decoying birds on a rather tight spread, I will use an IC. If I'm hunting geese or big ducks late in the season that are getting wary, I'm shooting a Kick's High Flyer full choke. For those that have said not to use a full choke duck hunting, I strongly disagree. It's all about how the specific load patterns with your gun and choke.

If you don't put it on paper and get an idea what your pattern is doing, you are at a huge disadvantage. I think this is one of the most common mistakes bird hunters make. They always sight in their deer rifles but never take the time to pattern their shotguns.

I probably shoot my full choke more than anything as it patterns very well with 3" #2 black cloud out of my Benelli SBEII. My pattern is a little tighter, and I may miss, but I don't have cripples. The combination is so hard hitting that it drops ducks and geese stone cold dead. The BC is a little more expensive, but I think it ends up being cheaper for me not having to put additional rounds in birds to finish them off. If you buy it by the case from Roger's it's really not too bad. Some people will tell you BC is terrible and doesn't pattern well. I haven't had that problem.

Ultimately, you need to try out different combinations to find out what works best for you. Good luck!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
porter is correct. if you are pass shooting or hunting at longer than decoy distance, then a aftermarket full choke designed for steel is a good choice.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went with modified this morning. I can't blame the choke, I had some bad shooting but we managed to get a few birds. Can't get but one pic to attach though from my phone.

Attachments

• image-3835288097.jpg
    image-3835288097.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 169

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had this same question and did some research. Read Mod or IC is best. Make sure your choke is rated for use with steel shot though.

Even if the choke is "rated" for steel....don't trust it if it's a factory choke. I used the stock modified choke in my Stoeger, made be Benelli, all of duck season two years ago. The stock chokes were supposed to handle the steel. After the season, I went to pull the choke out. After taking pliers to it because it was just that stuck once I got the threads visible, it threaded the actual choke tube. The threads on the choke doubled in length down it. Upon inspection, the whole choke had expanded from the steel shot even though is "can handle steel." I now stick with improved, it's more fun to have the ducks in your face anyway.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting an over/under with modified, and improved modified. I like using tighter chokes because it makes me aim more precise and there are less cripples.

I'm with you.

I run Improved Modified 90% of the time, but switch to modified if I'm hunting a spot where they're going to be close (under 20yrds).

Latest posts

Top Bottom