Which concealed carry auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 228 seems to be very popular, I've always wondered why it was discontinued by Sig.

There are new 228's available. They are basically a 229 rail frame with a 228 slide, but you can buy a brand new one. I looked at one at Academy Saturday.

I carry a Sig 239 or 229, both are 9M.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beretta PX4. 14+1 rounds of .40SW.

ai42.tinypic.com_2rhslky.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There are new 228's available. They are basically a 229 rail frame with a 228 slide, but you can buy a brand new one. I looked at one at Academy Saturday.

I carry a Sig 239 or 229, both are 9M.

True, forgot about those. It just pisses me off that Sig offers a bazillion and one models, but exactly 2.00000 of those DON'T have that stinkin rail on it. I just don't see the need to have a rail on every single gun, especially the way Sig added the rail.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
True, forgot about those. It just pisses me off that Sig offers a bazillion and one models, but exactly 2.00000 of those DON'T have that stinkin rail on it. I just don't see the need to have a rail on every single gun, especially the way Sig added the rail.

I'm with you!! I never liked the idea of having a rail on a handgun, and its even questionable on a rifle!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I can see it's use on a bedside gun, since it is plausible to just leave the light on the gun, but a carry gun? How many people are going to carry the gun with the light on it? The Glock and some of the plastic guns have the rail integrated smoothly with the style, but the metal frame guns for the most part the rail looks like an afterthought, and in my opinion could also increase the chances of snagging.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see it's use on a bedside gun, since it is plausible to just leave the light on the gun, but a carry gun? How many people are going to carry the gun with the light on it? The Glock and some of the plastic guns have the rail integrated smoothly with the style, but the metal frame guns for the most part the rail looks like an afterthought, and in my opinion could also increase the chances of snagging.

I was on the fence about railed guns for the longest time. I reckon I still am. IMO, it's a GOOD idea, but mostly for what you mentioned - leaving a light attached to the weapon and making it a dedicated lighted weapon for home use.

I know a few cops who have lights mounted to their duty weapons. While the draw from the holster looks cumbersome and slow to me, they say it draws just fine.

I dunno...it just looks like something else to inhibit and slow down the process of clearing the holster. Kinda like those "security" type holsters where you gotta unsnap this and rock it thisaway while finger off this lever and pushing down here and...:rolleyes2

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was on the fence about railed guns for the longest time. I reckon I still am. IMO, it's a GOOD idea, but mostly for what you mentioned - leaving a light attached to the weapon and making it a dedicated lighted weapon for home use.

I know a few cops who have lights mounted to their duty weapons. While the draw from the holster looks cumbersome and slow to me, they say it draws just fine.

I dunno...it just looks like something else to inhibit and slow down the process of clearing the holster. Kinda like those "security" type holsters where you gotta unsnap this and rock it thisaway while finger off this lever and pushing down here and...:rolleyes2

My issue with the dedicated gunlight is that most folks don't train with it, and if not are very likely to shoot when they shouldn't. Plus when using the light, unless you have it set for a pressure pad, your sweeping the trigger turning it on and off. You are also giving away your position with the light. I prefer the off hand use of a light source.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My issue with the dedicated gunlight is that most folks don't train with it, and if not are very likely to shoot when they shouldn't. Plus when using the light, unless you have it set for a pressure pad, your sweeping the trigger turning it on and off. You are also giving away your position with the light. I prefer the off hand use of a light source.

That's another reason I decided against it. Trying to get all your fingers to do different tasks is kinda complicated. I could just see myself shooting somebody when all I really meant to do was illuminate them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom