Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The AR-15 will easily get the job done. Plus, you can have the ability for quick shots if you run across a bunch of them.

When using the AR, just make sure to put it behind the ear. On my last hog I used my 300 win mag and it was overkill. However, the hog dropped in its tracks, so I can't complain.

220swift

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like the 25-06 80gr soft points for knock down . prefere a good bolt action with plenty of ammo . do not use ballistic tips they shoot clean thru words of experience we got attacked and pig got away

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If using 223 use heavy bullets like 69-77 grainers, they work like a charm. If I am truck hunting I use 223 if I am walking them up I like an M-14 with 150 gr. ballistic tips...cause nothing says stop like a ballistic tip 308 on hogs! But I must admit I have killed over 250 hogs and almost all of them have been with .223 with a suppressor and night vision...in Texas, when will Ok catch on they are vermin, not game. KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom