Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR10!
Semi-auto, big capacity, big bullet.

BTW, if they are on my land, they are my pigs. They just happen to be loose. LOL!
Since they are my pigs, I can shoot them however I want, including at night or with night vision and/or suppressors.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, if they are on my land, they are my pigs. They just happen to be loose. LOL!
Since they are my pigs, I can shoot them however I want, including at night or with night vision and/or suppressors.

Well I will be going in Texas where night and with whatever aides i want is legal so that doesn't matter too me, but I like your thinking! I would think it wouldn't be TOO hard to get a warden to give you permission to hunt them at night if you can show a depredation issue is going on.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be the real Man you know you are, use a knife!

Ill be in the next tree covering your six with the rifle and dialing 911.

But seriously, I always had luck with my Marlin in 44mag.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say an AR with 62 grain hollow or ballistic tips. A 30 round mag of that should put any hog down up to 300 yards easily. I shot two last summer with my AR running 55 grain FMJ and put the first one down with the first shot and dropped a second one in the brood with the next salvo. I shot and hit another but it was a bad shot in his hind quarters and he got back up and ran off.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington R-15
.223 55 grain AccuTip

[Broken External Image]

on our ranch. Hopefully this was the only one. We've never had pigs before and really don't want a lot of them.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

You want a few, them's good eatin'!!!! BBQd wild pork chops! Yummy!!!

To the OP. Try a little adventure in your life. Duct tape a knife on the end of a tree limb and go in there after them!!! :D

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted 257 Roberts. It will give you a little more room for error in shot placement over the 223. But if your real careful with shot placement and you shoot well on the fly in a hunting situation, there is no reason not to take the AR. It is what I have been using this spring. The area of State your hunting will likely present some long shots, so no on shotgun.

awww.fototime.com_FAA9A36254C33E6_standard.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom