Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure your not thinking of a 375 Winchester? I have a 375 Marlin that makes and excellent hog gun for the reasons you state.

But the 375 H&H is a belted magnum cartridge. The 375 H&H may use a big bullet, but it has a large case and tremendous punch over 4000 ft lbs energy at the muzzle. Some like the Hornady load are much higher like the 270 GR Bullet reporting a Muzzle Energy of 4937 ft lbs and Muzzle Velocity of 2870 fps.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised that C.B. isn't speaking up here. He uses the .375 H&H for most everything above a rabbit and makes a fairly persuasive argument for doing so.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
460 S&W is a hog hammer. 450 marlin ruins their day. 480 ruger stops them dead. I haven't put a 500 on one yet, but i sure do want to. Oh, and anything that says "Weatherby Magnum" works really well too.

Mr. E

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
500 works great if you wanna go deaf. I would suggest you take your pistol of choice as a backup or primary if in close. Which ever long gun you choose, put the crosshairs on the ear and your makin bacon. If you take out mama first you can usually get a bunch of her little squeallers too.
Good Hunting!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr E - AMEN with that comment. Use enough gun for the job and take Momma out first. You know a .22 short behind the ear makes her DRT but gettin the proper angle is something else.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They all suck, you should use a

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_Rifles_2943caff.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom