Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that .223 is a bit light. Bullet placement is everything. That is why I use a .308 because it is always 1 shot 1 kill.I am switching from my Rem 700 .308 to a M1A in .308 because many times I have a second or third shot. Multiple hits means multiple loins and hams.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223 works perfect if you put it right behind their ear. Seriously, there are a lot of guys who hunt with .22s and put them down.

However, I can't advocate that, because if you miss it would leave a wounded hog. Trust me, 223 is plenty for a hog.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, a .22 is adequate to kill a hog. A friend of mine hunted them with dogs then when the dogs had the hog cornered he shot behind the ear with a .22 short. DRT w/o a squeal. That is fine but how many people have dealt with a wounded hog that is close and bleeding????? Bullet placement is key. My neighbor shoots them with a .30.30 and waits for the buzzards to signal that he got him/her. I want to make sure that I have 1 shot and 1 kill and no cripples. My friends in SE/Ok have dealt with cripples and they have repeatedly said make sure before you shoot. Mexican standoffs are dangerous. So I prefer a .308 as a weapon of choice.

I do not allow a .223 on my property for hunting because I have seen the effect of an excited inexperienced hunter that crippled a fine animal that I tracked for over 1/2 mile and finally lost the blood trail. I was tracking part of the time on my hands and knees looking for a disturbance in the leaves. A larger caliber would have possibly lessened the chance for loosing the animal. I have too much respect for the game that I hunt and I want a quick and clean kill. I do not want the animal to suffer. Therefore I am selective of who hunts my property and what their weapon of choice is.

I take children each year on their first deer hunt and I require a .243 or larger because that has sufficient energy to overcome most "OOPS". I also am in the blind with them and talk them thru the shot. We have 1 shot 1 kill.

I know I am rattling on, but I prefer people use sufficient horsepower to get the job done quickly and cleanly. I know many an elephant has been killed with an AK but I would not hunt an elephant with one. Nuff said.

pbcaster45

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the past I've hunted hogs with a .308 Winchester or 30-06 but nowadays it's my trusty Savage Model 11 with a PAC-NOR .338 Federal barrel. Knocks them down where they stand and doesn't waste a lot of meat.

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc265_pbcaster45_Savage338Federal.jpg

My favorite hog bullet is a Hornady 200 gr. Interbond loaded to 2630 fps. Five shots at 100 yards.

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc265_pbcaster45_Hndy200SPHuntingLoad100yards.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom