Which gun for hog hunting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gun should I use and what ammo would you put it it?

• Total voters

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is pretty sweet hog sniper. I have run into a snag on my hog hunting. I worked myself into 1100 acres to get to play on down in Texas, only went once. then 2 weeks later I broke up with my girlfriend (the land belonged to her grandparents and their friends)..... So Now I need to find another place.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think the 223 is big enough. Yes it will kill them but you got to be picky with your shot. Thats me doing the shooting last weekend. The black hog got away, well we found it the next day. The dark hog that ran to the right after the first shot was shot in the head. Yes it was a lucky shot, it drop him like a sack of taters. My camera guy thought i was shooting at the black one again. The gun jammed on me. Sorry for the F-BOMB I dont know how to edit it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxU7IxbjNYs

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would vote for a .308 as I have killed several on my farm all with 1 shot. I shoot a 125 gr BT. They have all been hit in the ear or shoulder and have all gone down like a sack of rocks. I am now rigging my M1A with a red dot and handloading a 165 gr Gameking. Yes its a big bullet and heavier than necessary. But they dont run and go down with one shot. I know what a wounded pig can do to a man and it ain't pretty. A wounded pig is very dangerous and normally other pigs will turn on it and tear it apart. I like my pigs DRT

Latest posts

Top Bottom