Which rail for AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want a new rail system for my AR...I'm kinda leaning towards a Daniel Defense Omega rail, but I also like the YHM set ups....any recommendations or suggestions?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want a new rail system for my AR...I'm kinda leaning towards a Daniel Defense Omega rail, but I also like the YHM set ups....any recommendations or suggestions?

I'll say it first.

What is the intended use for this rail? What gas system? Do you want it to cover the gas block or just bolt on behind the front Sight block via a non free-floating system? Do you want to mount sights to it? Do you want to mount a VFG, or Light to it?

Do you want to mount optics to it?

I'm a big fan of the DD Light rail system, but its a skinny rail that has trouble with clearance on a few gas blocks out there.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with ez on this one. I would like to try to put the Omega on mine first to make sure it was going to work.

YHMs on the other hand, are very good.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like my Omega rails and not having to remove the front sight/gas block was a huge plus to me.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good points EZ....no gas block, just standard FS block....possible opitcs on top, VFG on bottom, and I might mount a weapon light on it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good points EZ....no gas block, just standard FS block....possible opitcs on top, VFG on bottom, and I might mount a weapon light on it.

The Omega is pretty painless for what you're wanting - its probably what I'd go with.

Its been said before and bears repeating - quad rails make lousy places to mount an optic - no matter how solid or free-floating they are.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got long arms, so on my 14.5" I picked up a FF that allowed me to mount a VFG farther forward than a standard 7" rail so I can shoot NTCH comfortably. It's a VLTOR CASV:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_P4291266.jpg

The DD 9.5 FSP will allow you do to that, too, but it requires gunsmithing.

I got one for sale...

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67640&highlight=daniel+defense

*Shameless plug*

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, that is sweet man.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the DD Omega. I picked up an Eotech this week and that will be my main optic...its the 511, so its a lil smaller and will stay on top of the upper rail. Only thing I plan on mounting to the handguard will be a grip and a light for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom