AR-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a recall from S&W for the 15-22 that had something to do with the bolt not being ground/formed with the correct depth.
It caused issues occasionally with multiple rounds being fired for a single trigger pull.
After S&W issued the recall, Appleseed ceased allowing them to be used.

Thanks JeffT,,,
I appreciate the reply.

Aarond

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably the best resource for AR-22 stuff currently. https://borebuddy.com/

Most of what is out there are CMMG/Ceiner clones. Getting consistent ejection is the main issue with the AR-22. The S&W M&P-22 guns tend to run pretty well, but some don’t.

AR-22 stuff is highly and rapidly cyclical, but the CMMG/Ceiner pattern has persisted with time.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep getting emails from Bear Creek where they have .17, .22 LR, and .22 WMR rifles and uppers available. Think I looked and they were around like $400 up to $600. My wife has a BCA-15 rifle, in 6.5 Grendel and she loves it. I have a .300 AAC upper from them (haven't shot it yet.)

I have a S&W M&P 15-22, and love it! Although looking, I may have to get the Rock Island TM22.

For the 15-22, I got on Gun Broker and bought mags for about $8 a piece for the 25 round (after spending $10 a piece for some 10 rounds because I had too many windows open.)

I looked at the H&K AR styled .22, and it was in stock at more places at the time for less (think Summer 2020 or 2021 when ammo prices were sky high and I couldn't afford .223 or find anymore primers), but the lack of the bolt release actually turned me off to it.

I have a Bushmaster AR-15, full polymer AR, and it has been a good gun. Bought it in 2012, when you couldn't find an AR style rifle anywhere. It isn't a tack driver, but it is good enough for a day of fun.

Whatever you get, enjoy the crap out of it! I know it is a lot easier to take the .22 out for a day of fun and spend $50 instead of $500 for the same amount of fun. Granted, I have spent about as much on accessories to trick out the .22 as the rifle just to make it fun for the wife and kids (and me).

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day gents and gals,

For some inexplicable reason, I have a hankering for a AR chambered in 22LR. I know rifle can be finicky in ARs and wanted to reach out and see what yall had had experience with and if you had any recommendations.

Preferably looking for one based off of a real AR type frame, and not a look alike like the polymer ones. I want the fit and feel to the similar to a standard AR is all.

I also plan to run rem thunderbolt, golden bullet, and federal automatch type ammo (and don’t want to have to buy specialty ammo just for it).

Essentially, I want a budget range blaster for myself and friends kids to be able to learn and practice with that is cheap to shoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also. I already have traditional styled 22 rifles in droves, I specifically want a AR patterned one now.
I use a CMMG conversion kit in a 10.5" SBR. It runs flawlessly as long as it's kept clean. It doesn't take much .22LR to dirty it up!

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Popped into Cabelas last night and gave the m&p15-22 a good peek. Honestly felt much better than I expected an all poly rifle to feel. No appreciable rattle and very smooth. Will likely snag one when I can find a good discount code for them!

Thanks for all the help gents and gals!

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the TM22, not actually an "AR" but a cool similar and Inexpensive option.
Screenshot_20240301_134358_Chrome.jpg

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P 22 will run and run and run. Some of the bargain basement 22 it doesn’t like. Ours doesn’t care for thunderbolts, but runs everything else! Aguila and Cci targets run it slick. It’s accurate enough to kill squirrels within 25-30 yards of need be.

Regards,

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good day gents and gals,

For some inexplicable reason, I have a hankering for a AR chambered in 22LR. I know rifle can be finicky in ARs and wanted to reach out and see what yall had had experience with and if you had any recommendations.

Preferably looking for one based off of a real AR type frame, and not a look alike like the polymer ones. I want the fit and feel to the similar to a standard AR is all.

I also plan to run rem thunderbolt, golden bullet, and federal automatch type ammo (and don’t want to have to buy specialty ammo just for it).

Essentially, I want a budget range blaster for myself and friends kids to be able to learn and practice with that is cheap to shoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also. I already have traditional styled 22 rifles in droves, I specifically want a AR patterned one now.

Get the whole rifle for $200

https://grabagun.com/rock-island-armory-tm22-lite-22-lr-18-barrel-10-rounds.html

1710532566043.png

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up snagging the Smith and Wesson m&P 15-22. Love it. Not a single issue so far. Actually in the middle of performing a truly massive comparison of various 22 ammo. I believe 40 different kinds. Testing for accuracy, reliability, cycling, and velocity. Velocity being tested in 7 different length barrels and firearms. Will post the results up on the forums when I get em all done!

Latest posts

Top Bottom