Which Savage .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, got a gun to sell, but then I am planning to get a Savage .308. I want a precision rifle, so heavy barrel, etc....

Pros and cons of what yall have, or have seen. Links to the gun with specs, or retailers with prices would be sweet. Here is what I am looking at:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411552143

I like the 20 inch barrels, they seem to be much easier to shoot off hand if need be.

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard many people say the shorter barrels can be very accurate because there is less flex or twist. It is a shorter piece of steel so it is inherently stronger. The 1:11.25 twist will limit you on the 175gr. You will probably not notice it inside 600 yds, in which case, the 168gr rounds will be a good bet. If you want to push out further, you will want something a little heavier, both for BC at distance as well as wind. I would not want to hunt, nor shoot off hand, my 24" Savage. Maybe if I were 30 years younger. ;-). It is awfully heavy but for long range precision, it is really best to shoot in the most stable position, prone from a bipod. Even a heartbeat can throw the shot at distance.

It all depends on how crazy you want to get. Glass bedding, pillars, free float barrels, etc. I can tell you this, you will not be disappointed in a Savage, no matter which model. Just be sure to check that the action screws are properly torqued. I posted a thread about how my action was loose from the factory. The barrel was jumping all over the place and I went through 500 rounds wondering why I sucked! Forced me to focus intensely on my technique. I accidentally found the problem. I assumed a factory rifle would not work loose. I figured wrong. It shoots 1 ragged hole at 200 yds now. It as even drawn admiration from others at the range. I can not stress enough that the shooter still has to do his part! I would love to let you try it but I have no earthly idea when I can make it to the range again. I started a new job and don't even know my schedule past next week.
Rifle $1050
Scope $900
20 MOA rail $90
Rings $90
Level & ACI $300
Bipod w/lock $110
500 rds 175gr SMKs $450
FAT Torque Wrench.....priceless

It can run up the dollars in a heartbeat. AR can get you MOM & double for SHTF. Precision & range = $$$$

I still vote for the Savage FCP 10 HS Precision.

Last edited:

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the Savage 10 with the 20" heavy barrel and with 168 SMKs it shoots like a dream. I will tell you straight up no BS that It will hit at 1000yds if I do my part. This was at Badlands rifle school. It is a Savage 10 with a leupould 4.5x14x40 scope with leupold rings and a blackhawk bipod and nothing else really done to it. It shoots an inch at 100yds all day long. It shoots as good with my handloads as it does with the factory stuff. I havent tried anything heavier than 168s so I dont know past that. All in all if you get a Savage you wont be dissappointed.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the Savage 10PC with threaded barrel, short barrel but super accurate, when I got it sighted in it was clover leafing at 100 yards and that was on a bipod I would imagine it could have easily put each round through the same hole with a much better shooter.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage makes a great rifle. Just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Savage is only one of the 2 American rifle makers that hand trues their barrels. I don't remember who the other company is. I watched a television show not long ago about how they shine a bright light down each of the barrels... and there should not be the slightest hint of a shadow. If there is, the worker starts using a mallet and other tools to true the barrel so that it shines like a mirror the full length.

I have a 111 in 30.06.. the main difference between it and the 10 is no accu trigger. The adjustable trigger wasn't important to me. It saved a lot of money just not having the accu trigger feature. Mine has about a 4 pound pull.

Got it last Thanksgiving, on Cheaper than Dirt's cyber monday sale. When I ordered, the woman said they were going out the door like they were giving away free gold. It shot 1-1 1/2" groups at 100 yrds using federal fusion 150 gr.... and that was just resting the rifle on a soft pillow where it could move between shots and I was using a $70 Center Point scope from Walmart.

After the initial sighting in, I added a Bi-Pod. That made a world of difference. No problem getting 1" groups at 100 yds using the same scope settings I had made from just resting the rifle on a pillow. It should easily get 1" or less groups @ 100 yrds if using a secure bench vise for sighting in and a good BDC scope. No reason to think the .308 wouldn't do just as good or better.

Last edited:

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you can't shoot 175's with a 1:11.25 twist? Hmmm. Well I was thinking about going with 155s anyway.

Is there a set amount of torque to tighten the stock bolts too?

You can shoot 175s with that twist but it won't be as stable and accurate past 600 yds. 155s are great but will be affected more by wind at distance. The torque depends on the rifle. The HS Precision is 65 in lbs because it has an aluminum bedding block. That is why it doesn't need glass or pillar bedding. The other models will require 45 in lbs if I remember correctly. Any more will damage the rifle. Having it glass bedded or pillar bedded will increase the accuracy. I'm not sure how much that costs but for an extra $300, I think the HS Precision gives you a much better rifle setup. It is not a hunting rifle. It is long & heavy, but there is a reason for this. ;-)

The action bolts will probably be fine. 99% of the time they are. That is why I never thought about it...until 500 rds later and much frustration!

Last edited:

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not the Remington 700 AAC-SD? Cheaper than the savage you listed, and has a 20" barrel with a 1-10 twist. it's also threaded from the factory. I have one and it can flat out shoot. Plus the aftermarket support for the 700 is more than adequate. If you can't find an accessory for the 700, you don't need it.

Here's the particular rifle I am talking about:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ACT+AAC-SD+308+Hogue+Overmolded+Ghillie+Green

or

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...actical+.308+20"+AAC+Brakeout+Black+Synthetic

I bought the first one and have changed it a lot. However, a friend of mine bought the above rifle and has only restocked it and it shoots laser beams.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Remington. I do like the accutrigger, but that top one with the 1-10 is interesting. I don't know which I would be better off with, and don't want to start a Savage vs. Remington thread... Hmmmmm Anyone else have thoughts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom