Who is taking a kid out for youth hunt next weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so if i take my 9yo out, what all do i need to have exactly? he hasnt taken the hunter safety course yet. do i just buy an apprentice license and thats it hes good to go? or does he have to have the apprentice license AND a deer tag? i just dont want to take him out and not have all the proper licenses and what not.

ok, i read through the regulations and if im understanding this correctly, i would need to buy an Apprentice License (not sure how much they cost?), and then either a Youth Deer Gun Antlered tag $10 or a Youth Deer Gun Antlerless tag $10?

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/education/apprentice.pdf

Youth Deer Gun

Age Requirements

Youth under 18 years of age: All youth while hunting are required to be accompanied by an adult, 18 years old or older. The adult cannot gun hunt, but may archery hunt while accompanying the youth hunter. The adult hunter may not possess any firearms except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and Oklahoma Firearms Act.

License Requirements

Resident youth under 16 years of age: Must possess a youth deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) or an apprentice-designated youth deer gun license or proof of exemption. Exempt from the purchase of a hunting license. Youth 7 years of age or under must be hunter education certified to hunt deer.
•Resident youth 16 and 17 years old: Must possess a hunting license (see Licenses & Permits) or proof of exemption. In addition, must possess a youth deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted or proof of exemption.
•Nonresident youth 17 years of age and younger: Must possess a nonresident deer gun license or apprentice-designated nonresident deer gun license (see Hunter Education). Exempt from a hunting license. Youth 7 years of age or under must be hunter education certified to hunt deer.

Dates & Open Areas

Oct. 19-21, 2012; statewide.

Public Lands

Seasons on public lands may vary from statewide seasons. Consult List of Public Lands section.

Youth Deer Gun Limit

Two deer, only one of which may be antlered.

The harvest of antlerless mule deer is prohibited during the youth deer gun season.

Deer taken by youth hunters participating in the youth deer gun season are included in the hunter’s combined season limit but do not count as part of the regular deer gun season limit.

Youth Deer Gun Licenses

Resident youth hunters who do not harvest a deer during the youth deer gun season may use their unfilled youth deer gun license(s) during the regular deer gun season to take a deer.

Resident youth hunters who do harvest a deer during the youth deer gun season may purchase another youth deer gun license and harvest a deer during the regular deer gun season.

Legal Means of Taking

Equipment described as legal for deer gun season.

Hunter Orange

For hunter orange requirements, see General Hunting Regulations.

Field Tagging & Checking

For field tagging and checking requirements, see Field Tagging & Checking.

Resident Youth Deer Primitive (antlered) (under 18)

$10

Resident Youth Deer Primitive (antlerless) (under 18)

$10

Resident Youth Deer Gun (antlered) (under 18)

$10

Resident Youth Deer Gun (antlerless) (under 18)

$10

Resident Youth Holiday Antlerless Deer Gun (under 18)

$10

Latest posts

Top Bottom