Who is the resident Revolver Troubleshooter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus Model 66 that belongs to my sister that is giving me fits.

First off, I will say, I was mildly impressed with the little Taurus, after years of thinking they would be horrible firearms. I have found it to be very accurate (what wheel gun isn't?) and fairly well assembled. Now, I was NOT impressed with the insides, which looked like they were chipped out using stone and a hammer. There were machine marks that you could cut yourself on in there.

Here is my issue:

In double action on a cleared gun, I can pull the trigger numerous times, and then now and then it will hang up (imagine that, a 1911 guy saying a wheelgun is mis-feeding!). I have determined the cause to be the cylinder stop not fully moving out of the way of in time to allow the cylinder to begin to turn.

Upon further inspection, I see that the cylinder stop does indeed pull down out of the way, but then, just before the cylinder has a chance to turn, it jumps back up in the notch.

This does NOT happen in single action. This gun will potentially be CCW (gotta love a woman with a wheel gun), but I will NOT let her have it until it proves to be 100% reliable, 100% of the time.

Just in case this doesn't give you afficienados enough to go on, I snapped a quick little youtube video of it that may help to get the point across. Sense I only have two hands, one holding the camera, the other to pull the trigger, and the gun in a vise... I was not able to do an on camera safety check as I had no more hands to spare. You must take my word for it. Because I'm sure you guys understand that, I am uploading this as a private video so it won't be found without the specific link. I don't want anybody ever using any video of mine for any anti gun propaganda.

So, the gun had already been checked numerous times.

Let me know if the link doesn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SX1nvwswo8

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your lucky its a weak cylinder stop spring. if your not, its either the cyl stop lip or the trigger nose is too short. In years past because of their lifetime warranty they would not sell you parts. You had to send it in. Don't know their policy nowadays.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one star, lol... THANKS! Now I know how EZ Bake feels!

Hmm... that's weird. YouTube said I could post that link and only people with the link could see it.

I guess I could make it public... I just don't want people spasing because I didn't do an "on-video" safety check.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
one star, lol... THANKS! Now I know how EZ Bake feels!

Hmm... that's weird. YouTube said I could post that link and only people with the link could see it.

I guess I could make it public... I just don't want people spasing because I didn't do an "on-video" safety check.

Why didn't you do an on video safety check? Now someone will call Oklahomans stupid!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom