Who wants to shoot a deer in August?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d vote against it simply due to the fact I’m sick to death of fricken poachers, trespassers, and all the a-holes who think they’re deer hunters.

Close to where I live and have my cattle pastures, is a high fence outfit and people here are peeved off due to all the land this guys family has for their farming and cattle operations which in turn the high fence guy uses for his “free range” hunters.

Don’t get me wrong it’s their land they own or lease and they can do with it what they please but it sure gets old seeing all the deer they take that we seem to see, feed, pattern, etc. all year round.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d vote against it simply due to the fact I’m sick to death of fricken poachers, trespassers, and all the a-holes who think they’re deer hunters.

Close to where I live and have my cattle pastures, is a high fence outfit and people here are peeved off due to all the land this guys family has for their farming and cattle operations which in turn the high fence guy uses for his “free range” hunters.

Don’t get me wrong it’s their land they own or lease and they can do with it what they please but it sure gets old seeing all the deer they take that we seem to see, feed, pattern, etc. all year round.
He's letting his hunters hunt on someone else's property?

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big NO for me too. I didn't go during last year's muzzleloader season. Too dang hot, and the mosquitos. Got ate up the year before.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little biased as I hunt private land and would be for it if included archery. The ONLY reason is that I'd like to have a buck in velvet on the wall. I fully get it and support others not wanting that opportunity. Guess there's a second reason too - might get me an extra opportunity before rifle season starts.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He's letting his hunters hunt on someone else's property?
Let me add this, I don’t know what arrangement they may have with the landowner but, yep, they lease a lot of land and he lets his “free range” hunters hunt those places.

They also lease a lot of Tribal land and he at one time was hunting some of those places too.

In addition to all that, the guy that has the high fence, his dad and uncle also lease school land and he lets the free rang hunters hunt those places also.

It just pisses the locals off, but the high fence guy kinda rubs people the wrong way not even counting what he does with his hunting operation.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep, they lease a lot of land and he lets his “free range” hunters hunt those places.
Maybe I'm dumb. This sounds like he leased the land he's letting them hunt. If not, then he's a jerk and deserves to be drawn and quartered. You do NOT hunt on someone else's land without permission. That's a good way to go home feet first.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a novelty. I might do it once but i have no desire to sunburn in a deer stand. Happens enough as is.

Why only muzzleloader? Why not archery?

I would vote against it personally as it'll only drive up the presence of guides and land/lease costs.
I'm cynical and this is my thought.
They probably aren't getting enough hunters (with revenue for the wildlife department, the landowners that lease and the guides) in the fall season because I swear EVERYBODY is glued to the TV set for CFB. The weather cools down but you can't drag a lot of people outside for love or money.
People like to get mosquito bit and sunburned at the lake in the summer so why not see if they're willing to deer hunt also?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm cynical and this is my thought.
They probably aren't getting enough hunters (with revenue for the wildlife department, the landowners that lease and the guides) in the fall season because I swear EVERYBODY is glued to the TV set for CFB. The weather cools down but you can't drag a lot of people outside for love or money.
People like to get mosquito bit and sunburned at the lake in the summer so why not see if they're willing to deer hunt also?
I hear you. I hunt no matter the temperature if i think there's a chance or a pattern occurring. Football is fun to watch, but i prefer tree stand time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom