Who's Taking a Kid Turkey Hunting This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am taking my brother's daughter out Saturday morning. She is 10 and it will be her first hunt with a gun. We have to get within 15 yards since she is shooting a .410. I have one big bird that I think I can set the blind up on and be on top of him as he scratches through the barnyard and another place with a bunch of birds but they may be harder to get close.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm taking my 8 year old. He's so excited, he won't shut up about it.
I can't beleive it, last year was his first and it rained the whole time.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you guys have some luck Weatherby. Be sure and take some pictures if you do or if you don't. A smiling kid with a gun makes a great photo any day.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be the first year for my son (10 years old) to call by himself. We are super excited to get out there tomorrow. Of course, the decision on whether or not to pass on a jake has gone unanswered so far. I do know that his mom is more than ready for the "practice" calling to stop. Pics to follow hopefully!

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm taking my seven year old son. We went last fall and got this jake. He actually called him in and I took the shot. This year I'll be calling and he'll have my old 410. He's so excited, it's all he talked about for the past week.
ai954.photobucket.com_albums_ae30_joe11young_turkey.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my brother and niece from this morning. We set the blind up last night and got out there before light this morning. It was beautiful and still but never heard a gobble. We set up near a corral where the farmer is feeding out some calves and the turkeys have been scratching around there pretty consistently. I have been seeing and hearing them every day but not today. We never heard a single gobble all morning and I called a few times but not too much. It was 9am and I had to take a leak and my brother said he did too. We looked around the blind and I unzipped it and started to get out and the brother said, "There are the hens...Freeze!" They were at 10 yrds and closing. I got the door zipped back up quietly and they walked around the blind and then 2 big toms stepped up behind them. She was shooting a .410 and we needed them to be within 15 yards for the pattern to cover well. The farthest one stood stock still at 13 yrds and she rolled him. That keeps the streak going for my brother's girls. They have never missed a game animal yet and they probably have taken 5 turkeys and 5 deer. Pretty good shooting girls. We only got the one bird Elkstlker and I will stay out of there now so the rest is yours. I have a bunch more located over west a few miles.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Camilles1stTurkey.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom