Who's Taking a Kid Turkey Hunting This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoutside

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Takin my 7 yr old son with a friend who's way better at calling than i am. If it works out i think both of us will have a lifelong turkey hunting buddy.

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrat's to all the kid's!! There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing than big smile on that kids face!! I'm taking my 9 tr old grandson this weekend for his first Turkey hunt. I have been watching a Tom struting 200 yards from the house in a draw so will set up on him come Sat. morning. Good luck to everyone!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING!!!! Sounds like alot of great hunts.

I took my uncle and his 14yr old grandson out. My uncle never hunted and never even owned a gun until my cousin's son started showing an intrest so they are both learning the ropes.

The moring started out rough. We had birds working, but the nieghbor shot one, then the other nieghbor spooked several groups...oh well. We took a break to shoot the 22s and do some fishing. He tore up the blue gill.

About 12:30 we decided to go set up in an area where I know the birds hang out when it gets windy. As we pulled up a tom was gobbling and heading that way aready. We ducked down and took off to cut him off. We got set up and he started working in for us putting on a show... then the hens showed up and took him away. I was afraid my young hunter would be upset, when I looked over he was grinning ear to ear and said "WOW THAT WAS FUN". yeah this young man gets it.

About 3:00 we set up for the evening. About 4:45 two jakes come by and show no intrest at all, and head right to where we had been set up for the morning...are you kidding me.

At 6:15 my uncle has had enough of the wind and not seeing or hearing anything. So we decide to leave. As we get out of the blind I strech and look over the hill and those jakes are still in the wheat field with us. I ask my young hunter how bad he wants a bird and if he's ready to cover some ground. He just grinned and said "lets go".... Off we go we had to do a 3/4 mile circle to get around these birds without being seen. I took his gun, unloaded it and we took off jogging.

We cover the ground we needed get down in a draw and belly crawl up to the edge of the field...they are still there 70yrs away. I get him up to the fence tell him to get ready and yelp once....here they come gobbling the whole way. At 25yrds I told him to shoot the one on the right. BOOM THUNDER CHICKEN DOWN!!!! He lets out a yell, and the celebration begins.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them from my uncle. I think I had more fun than that young man did.

Updated with pic. Yeah I forgot I had on the face cover LOL.

Attachments

• Paxton and Brian Turkey.jpg
    Paxton and Brian Turkey.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 136

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks! He turned seven this past Jan. We were hunting out west in my pop-up blind using a decoy. He enjoys using the box call and he's not too bad at it. I know I'm biased, but the kid never ceases to amaze me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom