Who's Taking a Kid Turkey Hunting This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTG!!! The Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Program took 6 children on their first turkey hunt this weekend at Woodward. 3 children scored on some mature birds. These children are hand picked and from disadvantaged homes. These fortunate few will long re member this hunt.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to go guys! Those are some great pictures and big smiles. We failed to connect on Saturday morning after having a little human interferance but the boy got it done this morning. The birds were not really responding to any of the calls he tried and I thought it sounded pretty good. We had seven Toms, working away from us all morning so we pulled out all the stops. Hung our vests in a tree and crawled through an irrigation ditch 500 yards to ambush and he managed to kill the first bird of the year at 30 yards. Great morning, I will try to get pics up soon.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING!!!! Sounds like alot of great hunts.

I took my uncle and his 14yr old grandson out. My uncle never hunted and never even owned a gun until my cousin's son started showing an intrest so they are both learning the ropes.

The moring started out rough. We had birds working, but the nieghbor shot one, then the other nieghbor spooked several groups...oh well. We took a break to shoot the 22s and do some fishing. He tore up the blue gill.

About 12:30 we decided to go set up in an area where I know the birds hang out when it gets windy. As we pulled up a tom was gobbling and heading that way aready. We ducked down and took off to cut him off. We got set up and he started working in for us putting on a show... then the hens showed up and took him away. I was afraid my young hunter would be upset, when I looked over he was grinning ear to ear and said "WOW THAT WAS FUN". yeah this young man gets it.

About 3:00 we set up for the evening. About 4:45 two jakes come by and show no intrest at all, and head right to where we had been set up for the morning...are you kidding me.

At 6:15 my uncle has had enough of the wind and not seeing or hearing anything. So we decide to leave. As we get out of the blind I strech and look over the hill and those jakes are still in the wheat field with us. I ask my young hunter how bad he wants a bird and if he's ready to cover some ground. He just grinned and said "lets go".... Off we go we had to do a 3/4 mile circle to get around these birds without being seen. I took his gun, unloaded it and we took off jogging.

We cover the ground we needed get down in a draw and belly crawl up to the edge of the field...they are still there 70yrs away. I get him up to the fence tell him to get ready and yelp once....here they come gobbling the whole way. At 25yrds I told him to shoot the one on the right. BOOM THUNDER CHICKEN DOWN!!!! He lets out a yell, and the celebration begins.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them from my uncle. I think I had more fun than that young man did.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pic from this morning, sorry for the cell phone quality.

Attachments

• 0403110907a[1].jpg
    0403110907a[1].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 196

Latest posts

Top Bottom