Why anything less than 9mm for frontline defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiKelly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a .22 is better in the pocket, than a .45 in the car or home. How many of you left your gun at home while you wore your shorts or wind pants this summer? I like what the other dude said, have more than one option.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've said it before...I'll say it again.

They'll all kill ya deader'n hell.

+1

I like my .38 a lot for the days when I don't want to dress to wear my .45. Don't hesitate a bit to put it in my pocket.

+1

Mindset, and tactic's are what win the fight, not the gun.

+1

a .22 is better in the pocket, than a .45 in the car or home. How many of you left your gun at home while you wore your shorts or wind pants this summer? I like what the other dude said, have more than one option.

+1

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

+1

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
Personally I never carry less than 9mm (my Ruger 22/45 doesn't carry well), preffer 45. IMO if its too hot to dress to cover your carry weapon, its time to hit the gym and get into shape so you can deal with the heat, your body and loved ones will thank you. And you'll be in better condition to defend if called apon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as a kind of aside comment, when I purchased my first handgun way back in the '60's, a friend advised that anything less than a .38 Special would ricochet off of a windshield.

Now, having said that, I don't know if that statement is true, and I can't imagine too many occasions when I would have to shoot at a perp in a car trying to run me down.

As for handguns, my smallest caliber is .40 cal.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got an NAA .22 mag fresh back from mfg with all the upgrades and goodies. but don't carry it.

reason... can't hit the side of a barn door with it... not due lack of power. if I could hit with same accuracy as my 340PD... I'd be CCW it.

CCW of choice is 340PD with .38 +P ... no problems shooting full house .357 in 340PD... can hit with plenty accuracy for SD. but I choose not to because of decrease of usability.

.357 requires two firm hands to control properly. this leaves out weakside, decreases control during side to side, backward shooting and flashlight in support hand and other scenarios.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The smallest caliber I carry is 9mm. Same for my wife.

Having said that, if the only thing you have on you is a .380, it's sure beats being armed with nothing.

Ammo these days give .380s a pretty good punch. I wouldn't bet my life on them, but it sure beats restoring to my fists.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[

For me a 9mm is to small.In Europe they have always used .25cal,.32cals &
ect.I just could never understand that.Even in the past US police carried .38's
for years.My Question is WHY?[/QUOTE]

They weren't encountering crazies hopped up on drugs. You will notice now that in Europe they have moved up to bigger calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom