Why anything less than 9mm for frontline defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the saying "anything is better than finger nails". Be that as it may.....I always scratch my head when I see someone try to make a case for the .22LR as self defence round. I know a guy who accidentally got shot through the thigh with a .22 stinger out of a rifle at close range on a squirel hunt. It didn't look good but was far from life threatening. Oh sure had it, out of shear bad luck, hit his femoral (about the size of your pinkie finger) he'd have bled to death. Had he been hit in the exact same place with the other guys 12ga at that range it would have been down right gruesome. Far more likely to have bled to death or lost the leg. My point? Some cartridges are more leathal than others. Me? I'll stick with the largest/highest velocity combination round I can handle/shoot well AND carries a significant payload capacity. For me it's .40S&W, occationally the 9 (when I need small), .380 once in a great while when I absolutely must not "be made". Tried it for myself, a .380 FMJ will blow right through 2 2x4's at close range. Still, at every opportunity I go bigger/faster. Always keep the 12ga handy at home. Yeah, it's all beating a dead horse...got nothing else better to do and I don't mind the smell so much.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the saying "anything is better than finger nails". Be that as it may.....I always scratch my head when I see someone try to make a case for the .22LR as self defence round. I know a guy who accidentally got shot through the thigh with a .22 stinger out of a rifle at close range on a squirel hunt. It didn't look good but was far from life threatening. Oh sure had it, out of shear bad luck, hit his femoral (about the size of your pinkie finger) he'd have bled to death. Had he been hit in the exact same place with the other guys 12ga at that range it would have been down right gruesome. Far more likely to have bled to death or lost the leg. My point? Some cartridges are more leathal than others. Me? I'll stick with the largest/highest velocity combination round I can handle/shoot well AND carries a significant payload capacity. For me it's .40S&W, occationally the 9 (when I need small), .380 once in a great while when I absolutely must not "be made". Tried it for myself, a .380 FMJ will blow right through 2 2x4's at close range. Still, at every opportunity I go bigger/faster. Always keep the 12ga handy at home. Yeah, it's all beating a dead horse...got nothing else better to do and I don't mind the smell so much.

If I only got one magazine for my pistol, I'd take this 22LR over a 475 Wildey any day

awww.thompsonmachine.net_img_am275_side.jpg

The 204ftl/lbs 22LR ammunition is Aguila Super Maximum in 30gr.
As Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria can tell you, 200ft/lbs of energy is enough to kill someone. :D

I'm not trading in my 10mm for anything, though.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I only got one magazine for my pistol, I'd take this 22LR over a 475 Wildey any day

As Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria can tell you, 200ft/lbs of energy is enough to kill someone. :D

I'm not trading in my 10mm for anything, though.

Charlie Bronson is not happy with you right now.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So, would you go with an IWB or do you use an ankle rig?

Only kidding. A person should use what ever they want. I just feel .380/9/.40/45, well, just about anything else is more lethal than a .22lr. Not saying you CAN'T die from it. Just that a bigger deeper hole and more tissue damage seems more serious to me.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, would you go with an IWB or do you use an ankle rig?

Only kidding. A person should use what ever they want. I just feel .380/9/.40/45, well, just about anything else is more lethal than a .22lr. Not saying you CAN'T die from it. Just that a bigger deeper hole and more tissue damage seems more serious to me.
With the normal 22LR bulk ammo, I feel you're right. One round of .380 is worth about 3 rounds of bulk 22LR.

22LR has come a long way, though. Those Aguila loads are on par with the .380 for energy!

(I still demand a centerfire cartridge for CCW, though :D )

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my fav. quotes, "nobody likes to leak" I will carry a Berreta .22 tip up barrel type pistol when I am not lugging my .45. My thinking is that it is better than my fists or a knife both of which I also carry daily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom