Why I choose to carry a revolver...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know...I change guns more than women change shoes, right? :rolleyes2

Well, that may be true, but you can bet your bottom dollar, that I will ALWAYS have a J frame on my person 99.9% of the time whenever I'm vertical.

Below is a cool story from one of my very favorite websites, The Snubnose Files.

Because of it's length, I just linked it.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/revolver_ccw.htm

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What about the other .1 % of the time,GED?? :anyone:
Love revolvers,I have many...........Steve

BTW,I frequent Warrior Talk daily and,because of his love of the AK47, am a Gabe Saurez fan.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big revolver fan. I carry my 642 probably 40 percent of the time, and I prefer to shoot my revolvers, both double and single actions, much more than my semi-autos.....however...

I really don't see anything in the article that justifies the use of a revolver over a semi-auto for self defense. Just about every point the article makes can be applied to the semi-auto i.e. efficient barrel length, trigger control, sight picture, etc. The article even stated the obvious...most semi-autos have a higher capacity and can be reloaded much quicker. Not one advantage was listed for the revolver...and the only two I can think of would be if you had to shoot while the gun was concealed (like in a jacket pocket) or you are carrying in bear county and you need an adult-size caliber.

I certainly don't feel outgunned when carrying a revolver, and it will probably get most people out of any self-defense situation they find themselves in, however, if given the choice between a revolver and a good semi-auto for a man vs. man defensive situation....I have to go with the semi-auto.

As much as I would love to rely on the revolver 100 percent of the time, the semi-auto simply makes more sense. Most of us carry when we're out and about, without easy access to a long gun...and in those circumstances I think it makes sense to have a gun with good capacity and easy reloads.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a big revolver fan. I carry my 642 probably 40 percent of the time, and I prefer to shoot my revolvers, both double and single actions, much more than my semi-autos.....however...

I really don't see anything in the article that justifies the use of a revolver over a semi-auto for self defense. Just about every point the article makes can be applied to the semi-auto i.e. efficient barrel length, trigger control, sight picture, etc. The article even stated the obvious...most semi-autos have a higher capacity and can be reloaded much quicker. Not one advantage was listed for the revolver...and the only two I can think of would be if you had to shoot while the gun was concealed (like in a jacket pocket) or you are carrying in bear county and you need an adult-size caliber.

I certainly don't feel outgunned when carrying a revolver, and it will probably get most people out of any self-defense situation they find themselves in, however, if given the choice between a revolver and a good semi-auto for a man vs. man defensive situation....I have to go with the semi-auto.

As much as I would love to rely on the revolver 100 percent of the time, the semi-auto simply makes more sense. Most of us carry when we're out and about, without easy access to a long gun...and in those circumstances I think it makes sense to have a gun with good capacity and easy reloads.

This is the boat I'm in. I have a Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4" in .357 Mag that is an awesome gun; but, for less total weight I can get ~4" barrel, 15+1 rounds, fast reloads, and night sights in my Glock 19. Not to mention I have found the Glock easier to conceal and carry all day.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one carry revolver a Colt Detective Special that was professionly worked over back in 1956. It has a trigger pull to die for and gets carried in a Galco shoulder hoster. It is about a 25% of the time carry piece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom