Why I choose to carry a revolver...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a big revolver fan. I carry my 642 probably 40 percent of the time, and I prefer to shoot my revolvers, both double and single actions, much more than my semi-autos.....however...

I really don't see anything in the article that justifies the use of a revolver over a semi-auto for self defense. Just about every point the article makes can be applied to the semi-auto i.e. efficient barrel length, trigger control, sight picture, etc. The article even stated the obvious...most semi-autos have a higher capacity and can be reloaded much quicker. Not one advantage was listed for the revolver...and the only two I can think of would be if you had to shoot while the gun was concealed (like in a jacket pocket) or you are carrying in bear county and you need an adult-size caliber.

I certainly don't feel outgunned when carrying a revolver, and it will probably get most people out of any self-defense situation they find themselves in, however, if given the choice between a revolver and a good semi-auto for a man vs. man defensive situation....I have to go with the semi-auto.

As much as I would love to rely on the revolver 100 percent of the time, the semi-auto simply makes more sense. Most of us carry when we're out and about, without easy access to a long gun...and in those circumstances I think it makes sense to have a gun with good capacity and easy reloads.

I see your point RedTape, but here's my reasoning.

I'm gettin' on up in years now :rolleyes2 and I'm not kicking in doors any more. I don't work dope, so I don't hafta look over my shoulder. I stay away from speak-easys and just don't frequent bars and places of that nature. :disappoin So, a 5 round revolver (usually two of them) is plenty of "firepower" for me.

Furthermore...

If I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times. :blahblah:

You are responsible for each and every round that leaves your weapon. Not the governor, not your wife, not the chief of police, sheriff, your boss or the pope. YOU. Statistics have proven that a person loses at least 25% of their accuracy during stress. So. If you are a consistant 100% shooter on the range, where the paper doesn't shoot, stab or swing back, that means you have instantly dropped down to a 75% shooter. Right? Meaning if you fire 10 rounds at the BG, you might hit him 6 or 7 times. Where are the other 3 or 4 rounds? :anyone:

With a 5 or 6 shot revolver, you are gonna land more shots on target because of the lower capacity. Right? It's just simple mathematics. If I fire all 5 or 6 shots, 75% of those rounds is gonna be about 4 rounds. Correct? This means that I'll only have 1 or 2 rounds to account for instead of 3 or 4 rounds.

Paul Abel once told me that accuracy with less rounds fired trumps pitiful marksmanship with a lotta rounds fired. Whoever gets a shot on target first almost always wins the gunfight. Whenever you fire your weapon and hit old lady Mabel in the ass, you're gonna be buying her a brand new Cadillac for the rest of her life. Always remember...less is more.

Now we can argue this all day long, hell it's a constant thing with us gun guys...9mm vs. .45, rifle vs shotgun, Ford vs Chevy, yaddida, yaddida, yaddida.

The bottom line is, a wheelgun just fits my hand better than an auto and I like the 5 or 6 rounds for sure, over the 15 rounds maybe.

Now I'm not saying that all hi-cap bottom feeders should be destroyed. Quite the contrary. If I knew for certain I was headed to a shootout, then hell yeah, I'd want all the ammo I could get. But the reality is, it's very unlikely to ever happen to you.

Not saying it won't...just unlikely. :werd:

Click on my signature and pay close attention to rules #3 and #25. :thumb:

Of course, and as always, YMMV.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't gotten my CCW yet, but when I do I figure I'll carry my SP101 when I choose to carry.

I guess I don't understand the constant drumbeat of "fast reloads" for semi-autos; unless you are planning on cuffing and stuffing someone, why would you need to reload? Isn't the whole premise to either protect yourself and/or others, typically long enough to incapacitate the aggressor, or buy yourself enough time to get the hell out of there? Seems to me - and I'm obviously ignorant of most of this - that if I needed to dump a 15+1 round mag, and reload for another 15 rounds, then I'm sticking around because I like a gunfight. I want to either use the weapon to put the guy on the ground, or to put him in flight or cover so I (and others) can get out of Dodge. Someone enlighten me.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't gotten my CCW yet, but when I do I figure I'll carry my SP101 when I choose to carry.

I guess I don't understand the constant drumbeat of "fast reloads" for semi-autos; unless you are planning on cuffing and stuffing someone, why would you need to reload? Isn't the whole premise to either protect yourself and/or others, typically long enough to incapacitate the aggressor, or buy yourself enough time to get the hell out of there? Seems to me - and I'm obviously ignorant of most of this - that if I needed to dump a 15+1 round mag, and reload for another 15 rounds, then I'm sticking around because I like a gunfight. I want to either use the weapon to put the guy on the ground, or to put him in flight or cover so I (and others) can get out of Dodge. Someone enlighten me.

No, as an armed citizen, you are exactly right.

If any person other than military and LE needs more than 5 or 6 rounds, you've lost already.

This mindset falls under a lot of scrutiny nowadays. I don't know if it's because of the multiple assailants theory or what, but everybody thinks they need to carry 50 rounds on their person at any given time. Hell, on duty I only carry one spare mag for my Glock 22. It's there primarily as a backup in case I get a malf.

But yeah, you are correctamundo. A person only needs to fire enough rounds to stop the threat and get the hell outta harm's way. I wonder about those guys who say they're gonna blast the BG's ass till he drops and then put one in his head for a little extra "insurance."

Christ! :yikes2: That's not self-defense...that's murder! :ooh2:

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally am a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" guy. I'm new to CCW, but one thing constantly on my mind when walking out of the house is the recent Muskogee mall shooting which involved multiple aggressors. Most of the time this is not the case, it is the "ideal" there's the bad, shoot a couple rounds at him and hope he dies or flies. But as gang violence grows even our beloved Oklahoma the chance of coming across a group of 2-3 guys seem possible. In that situation could hope that 5 shots is enough to kill em or scare em, but would rather be prepared in case they don't die and chose to pursue me. I respect Glock 'em Down's perspective, definitely something to keep in mind and train for. These are just my opinions, everyone lives life differently, this is how I live mine.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Well I'd rather have 15 and need 6, than have 6 and need 15. Today's average engagement tends to have more shots fired. While a lot of that has to do with poor marksmanship, I've always belived that accurate fire directed at your adversary's position is excellent cover. If he has enough ammo to do that and you don't, you might get caught short.

While not every gunfight is going to offer you a free fire zone, neither is every gunfight going to take place in a sea of non-threats. Crimes of opportunity usually occur when predators select a victim and attack in low light, in a secluded area, and/or where witnesses aren't present.

I can do a 7 yard, six shot engagement (Bill Drill) in about 2.2 seconds, including the draw. It might take that many rounds to stop a single adversary, perhaps even more. Now that that's done, would I prefer to do a threat scan with a gun containing additional rounds, or do an empty gun reload with a speedloader or speed strip?

I love revolvers and have quite a few. I carry semi-autos for several reasons. :)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally am a "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" guy. I'm new to CCW, but one thing constantly on my mind when walking out of the house is the recent Muskogee mall shooting which involved multiple aggressors. Most of the time this is not the case, it is the "ideal" there's the bad, shoot a couple rounds at him and hope he dies or flies. But as gang violence grows even our beloved Oklahoma the chance of coming across a group of 2-3 guys seem possible. In that situation could hope that 5 shots is enough to kill em or scare em, but would rather be prepared in case they don't die and chose to pursue me. I respect Glock 'em Down's perspective, definitely something to keep in mind and train for. These are just my opinions, everyone lives life differently, this is how I live mine.

The very last thing a gangsta thug wants, is to lose or get caught. You engage two or three guys, pop one, the other two ain't gonna stick around to see what happens next. That's why the cowards prey on the old, weak and unaware folks...easy targets.

The same way a predator will seek out the youngest or even better, an injured one in the herd. They are a quick and easy meal.

And as for a shooting happening at the mall? DO NOT engage the bad guy. Find a safe place and dial 911.

Leave the big fish to the professional anglers.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of J-frames, isn't this the one GED was selling - no wait, not selling just recently? :P

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom