Why I choose to carry a revolver...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'd rather have 15 and need 6, than have 6 and need 15. Today's average engagement tends to have more shots fired. While a lot of that has to do with poor marksmanship, I've always belived that accurate fire directed at your adversary's position is excellent cover. If he has enough ammo to do that and you don't, you might get caught short.

While not every gunfight is going to offer you a free fire zone, neither is every gunfight going to take place in a sea of non-threats. Crimes of opportunity usually occur when predators select a victim and attack in low light, in a secluded area, and/or where witnesses aren't present.

I can do a 7 yard, six shot engagement (Bill Drill) in about 2.2 seconds, including the draw. It might take that many rounds to stop a single adversary, perhaps even more. Now that that's done, would I prefer to do a threat scan with a gun containing additional rounds, or do an empty gun reload with a speedloader or speed strip?

I love revolvers and have quite a few. I carry semi-autos for several reasons. :)

Yeah, I'm just gonna say that I've seen this guy shoot with a revolver and he was the quickest I've seen by far. If he says he carries a Semi-auto then it says something to me....

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'd rather have 15 and need 6, than have 6 and need 15. Today's average engagement tends to have more shots fired. While a lot of that has to do with poor marksmanship, I've always belived that accurate fire directed at your adversary's position is excellent cover. If he has enough ammo to do that and you don't, you might get caught short.

Understood - and my post was more directed towards the "quick reload" rhetoric, not carrying a high-cap semi. I wouldn't mind a good semi-auto for CCW either, but I just tend to be more accurate with (and have more trust in) a revolver. But with the right semi-auto, that could easily change. But back to what I was questioning: 15 rounds is one thing; but does the average civilian need to carry two extra mags with it? If you feel a need to expend 30 to 45 rounds, then your world must include threats that you couldn't prepare for, even with a flamethrower. Sometimes I just wonder if it's fantasy bravado, or if some folks really believe they are going to need that many shots - I guess anything's possible.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Quoted for posterity and future ridicule.:buttkick:

Michael Brown

Yeah,I actually jumped in and defended Marshall when they went after him.I do like the info on AK's I get from Jim Fuller and others on there though.Maybe not so much Gabe personally as his website.Is that better Mike?? Steve

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea , in any incounter it is the first shot that counts. that's why I like a double action only wheel gun with only 6 shots. I know that I only have 6 shots so I had better use them wisely. and the trigger pull helps me from going into spray and prey mod. I don't want to gun fight a car load of gangbangers I just want to save my life. folks need to learn to draw there gun and phone at the same time put 911 on your speed dial, shoot and run. the object is not to come out the winner it is to come out alive.

FAIL

Semi-automatics and I are not friends. :angry3:

I have tried to make friends many times but they do not play fair.

With a revolver, the only burning metal is coming out the business end and it's away from "the girls."

When training wear a sports bra or shirt without an opening showin' the girls off... A hat will help too...
A little hot brass in a bad place now or a coffin later... You decide...

Understood - and my post was more directed towards the "quick reload" rhetoric, not carrying a high-cap semi. I wouldn't mind a good semi-auto for CCW either, but I just tend to be more accurate with (and have more trust in) a revolver. But with the right semi-auto, that could easily change. But back to what I was questioning: 15 rounds is one thing; but does the average civilian need to carry two extra mags with it? If you feel a need to expend 30 to 45 rounds, then your world must include threats that you couldn't prepare for, even with a flamethrower. Sometimes I just wonder if it's fantasy bravado, or if some folks really believe they are going to need that many shots - I guess anything's possible.

It's not "fantasy bravado" as you put it... It's preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best... [ou're assuming that just because I carry 31 rnds that I will use all of them... I'm going to use as many rounds as are needed to remedy the situation.. No more... No less...

This is the way I look at carrying a weapon & an extra mag...

It's like a condom... I'd rather have it & not need it rather than need it and not have it....

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
folks need to learn to draw there gun and phone at the same time put 911 on your speed dial, shoot and run.

You're kidding right?? It's hard enough to master shooting accurately under extreme pressure and you want to dial a dial a phone too?? This has to be one of the silliest things I've ever seen posted here.Do one or the other,you're not going to have time to do 2 things, but don't try to do both or you will most certainly fail at both. Steve

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED, I always like hearing you say this...
You are responsible for each and every round that leaves your weapon.

I think more people in society need to realize that. Most of my friends understand that, but I know several people who learned their idea of a gunfight from Hollywood. Hollywood rarely shows people in the background getting hit by strays.

My cleet instructor said it to us this way, and I'm glad he did.

When that bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't care where it's headed. It can't make decisions, it can't see where it's going. It's going where you made it go. It hits whatever is in its path. Hopefully, it's the bad guy. However, it may be the ground, or a tree, or a car, or a little girl way down the road you can't see sitting on her couch watching TV.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some of you sound like your going to Iraq or the "Stan" to fight Alibaba, and others seem to have enough faith in their bottom feeders to where you only carry whats in the gun. I do pray that those of you in either position never ever get into a gunfight; 1. Your going to have a tough time in court, or your going to meet Mr. Murphy.

Those that argue against the revolver tells me you've never practiced enough to become proficiant with one. For the others who seem to "know all, that will be all" I suggest to you to find yourself a course similar to "Advanced Officer Survival". Then come back and tell us just how good you are. Granted some of the training in that course won't apply to you in your regular life, but alot will, and it will be a great wakeup call for some. You might want to read a couple of threads I posted in the Self Defense forum.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92944
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92948

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah,I actually jumped in and defended Marshall when they went after him.I do like the info on AK's I get from Jim Fuller and others on there though.Maybe not so much Gabe personally as his website.Is that better Mike?? Steve

Not much better.

Most of the tools on that website are as bad as him.

The Jim Fuller info is good however.

If you had simply posted that I could have overlooked your obvious case of :haay:

You have clearly caught "the gay" at that website.

The only remedy you have is to walk outside and punch the next guy you see square in the face. That is the only known remedy for "the gay".

You may have to spend a few days in jail but it will be worth it in the end.:teach:

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you sound like your going to Iraq or the "Stan" to fight Alibaba, and others seem to have enough faith in their bottom feeders to where you only carry whats in the gun. I do pray that those of you in either position never ever get into a gunfight; 1. Your going to have a tough time in court, or your going to meet Mr. Murphy.

Those that argue against the revolver tells me you've never practiced enough to become proficiant with one. For the others who seem to "know all, that will be all" I suggest to you to find yourself a course similar to "Advanced Officer Survival". Then come back and tell us just how good you are. Granted some of the training in that course won't apply to you in your regular life, but alot will, and it will be a great wakeup call for some. You might want to read a couple of threads I posted in the Self Defense forum.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92944
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92948

I will offer that I much prefer a semi-auto over a revolver as a primary and I have trained enough to become fairly proficient with a revolver i.e. IDPA Master class (with a model 10 and speedloaders not moon clips), Master class in PPC, and one of only a dozen or so candidates ever who fired at least 590/600 at the CLEET Firearms Instructor School with a duty revolver.

I simply believe that I'm about half as good in a fight as I am in training and prefer the edge that twice as many rounds gives me.

Even as accomplished a revolver shooter as Jim Cirillo decided to start carrying a semi-auto as a primary (S&W 4546 and later a Glock 30 or 27) as soon as he was allowed despite being involved in over 20 shootings with a Model 10.

I have emptied a semi-auto in a fatality shooting and had no difficulty in court. I was not sued nor questioned about the number of rounds fired.

I have no difficulty with anyone who trains with one carrying a J as a primary; It's their choice and if they feel comfortable with it and have HONESTLY assessed their risk and ability, who am I to say different?

I have simply evaluated what I believe to be my risk and have come to the decision that I prefer more than five or six rounds before having to re-load.

If they decided to outlaw semi-autos today, I'd switch to a revolver by 9am and not miss a beat but if given a choice I don't any reason not to have more rounds between re-loads.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom