Why I don't carry my M&P with a round in the chamber...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neotim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you guarantee that my M&P can't fire in the case of a mechanical malfunction? Here's my situation...

I carry my 9c on my hip and I have 4 kids 7 and under. My kids like to give me hugs and often run into me. So here's my question... is it possible for a M&P to fire if the trigger is NOT pulled and their is a mechanical malfunction of the parts that hold the striker back? In other words, would you hold your M&P or Glock to your head with a round chambered and whack the side with your fist?

Note: in my case my 9c has a safety lever. Is it any safer in this situation than a non-safety version?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I'd never hold a gun to my head. Period.
2. If you don't trust your gun, get a different one.
3. If you absolutely had to use your gun, would the time it takes to chamber a round be the difference between you living or dying?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 children and carry a striker-fired pistol (Beretta Nano) IWB in a holster with one in the chamber. Not sure about the M&P because I don't have one, but my pistol has a firing pin block that must be disengaged by pulling the trigger. Even if the striker was somehow released, this prevents the firing pin from contactin the primer. On the Nano there is a small recessed button to release the striker without pulling the trigger to take it down.

I would never point a pistol, loaded or not, at my head or anything I did not intend to destroy, but I am 100% confident that no pistol I own will fire wthout the trigger being pulled.

neotim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know very well that it would be strategically better to keep a round in the chamber... that's not the issue here. I'd like to be able to feel comfortable carrying my M&P chambered. I'm a stay-at-home-dad, so I am around my kids all day long... that's why I carry!

Is it possible for an M&P to fire if only one part breaks? or does it take two parts to break for the striker to be released? I'm not familiar enough with the internals of my M&P to answer this question.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More likely that a mechanical failure would prevent the pistol from firing at all rather than cause it to fire. That being said, I am not familiar with the internal design of the M&P as I don't own one.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't worry. But I'd rather have some sort of DA/SA platform over not carrying an M&P chambered.