Why I don't carry my M&P with a round in the chamber...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the world of HASOP brain strom sessions you may be able to convince yourself that the M & P could fire. Does the M & P's striker store energy? Or does the pull of the trigger completely charge the striker?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the world of HASOP brain strom sessions you may be able to convince yourself that the M & P could fire. Does the M & P's striker store energy? Or does the pull of the trigger completely charge the striker?

Pretty much since Glock's "Safe Action", pretty much all striker-fired pistols aren't really single-action in the traditional sense, but they're not double-action either.

[Broken External Image]

Once the slide is racked, the striker is "charged" at like 40%? (I can't remember off-hand, we had a thread about this like 5 years ago and I posted a bunch of links, but I can't find them now)

Then pulling the trigger the rest of the way defeats the trigger "hinge" on the trigger safety (allowing the trigger to pull back the rest of the way), and then it pushes the Firing Pin back to 100% while pushing the Firing Pin Block out of the way.

I've probably butchered a lot of that up. Crap, I've lost a lot of memories, I used to know all of this by heart and all the proper names of each part involved and the difference between how the M&P does it vs how the Glock did essentially the same thing.

Anywho, the point is this: it's not an advantage to have a round in the chamber, its actually putting your kids in unnecessary danger to do so (if that is the thing that you are protecting). A proper holster means that the trigger won't ever be exposed (and should prevent it from dropping to the ground) and as far as "bumping" into it... I can't see a kid running into a gun hard even worry about making it discharge without doing nearly as much damage to the kid from the bump than from a gunshot.

If you're that worried about it, honestly, I'd look into getting a Sig or a CZ D/A model.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

neotim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks EZ Bake! That's the kind of info I'm looking for! I found this statement on another website... can someone confirm that the M&P firing pin is only capable of releasing if the trigger is pulled?

The striker on the Glock is brought to approximately 60 of the travel necessary to tension it when the slide returns to battery.

The other 40% of the travel necessary to disengage the firing pin from the firing pin safety block and fully tension the striker spring occurs upon operation of the trigger.

In no way is the Glock considered to be a true single action pistol, as are the M&P and XD pistols, whose strikers are full tensioned upon the return of the slide to battery.

On the other hand, the Glock is not a true double action pistol either.

The company coined the phrase "safe action" to describe its operation which is as safe as any mechanical pistol design can be made to be.

The problem IMO is that the human factor, rather than the mechanical factor, may make them less safe than other pistols, such as the M&Ps which do not require them to have the trigger pulled for disassembly.

But to answer the OP's question, "are striker fired pistols cocked enough to fire a round?" when discussing the Glock, the answer is NO.

For the XD and the M&P the answer is yes, keeping in mind that there are firing pin block safeties that make is mechanically impossible for the pistols to discharge unless their triggers are manipulated whether intentionally or not.

I suppose these striker fired pistols are designed to be carried, to coin a phrase, "cocked and blocked".

Except for the Glock which is only partially cocked but still blocked.