Why I don't carry my M&P with a round in the chamber...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you can draw, chamber a round, get on target and fire in the same amount of time as drawing, aiming and firing?

Aw crap - I meant "it's not just an advantage to leave a round in the chamber, but its actually leaving your kids in unnecessary danger not to do so".

Wow - I left out like one or two words, and it totally changed what I was saying. Typing from a phone is hard.

Seeing as how you cost yourself time when chambering a round, I would never carry (while protecting not only myself, but my family) without a round in the chamber.

Have you looked at a H&K USPC? i can't remember what trigger version it is, but they have one that is DA/SA with a decocker/safety lever that can be moved to either side or both. They have a hammer and a safety and a FP block.

The USP is possibly the safest handgun ever made - its trigger-pull is well over 3 miles long and at a pull-weight of just over that of what the velociraptor can produce with its jaws (you'll have no problems if you're a proctologist anywhere in southeast asia).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Uncomfortable" is the reason I carried P99 for so long - decocker just made sense. I have switched to Glock since, and not because I got "comfortable" (you should never get too comfortable around guns) but because of more training and practice I am more confident.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carrying one right now. Chambered, of course. I'm pretty sure the kids will be alright.

Modern firearms are designed to be carried chambered; it's perfectly safe. Carrying without one chambered pretty much requires you to have two free hands to bring it into action. I understand it is possible, and even a really good idea to practice, but not a good "plan", if you get my meaning.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With kids, there is an increased chance I might have to draw one handed.

I remember explaning why I carry one chambered in my 9c to my wife, and then it really clicked when we were walking around and I was holding my son. With my Bravo D.O.S. holster I am confident that I don't have to worry about accidental discharge, and I have the security of knowing I have one in the chamber ready to go if anything ever happened.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow

The USP is possibly the safest handgun ever made - its trigger-pull is well over 3 miles long and at a pull-weight of just over that of what the velociraptor can produce with its jaws (you'll have no problems if you're a proctologist anywhere in southeast asia).

I've been a proctologist for years and didn't know it!

I actually went to the P2000 and P2Ksk quite a Few years ago and have not regretted it.

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until the striker block moves, the striker can't be activated. Even a weak striker block spring would prevent the gun from firing until the trigger bar deactivated the block. The trigger bar can't engage the striker block without something pivoting the hinged trigger...from there the trigger bar (at the end of its travel) has to finishcocking and release the sear before the striker is released. Therefore if you have a properly holstered weapon, it will not discharge.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in for the one handed draw with kids present too. Didn't have carry option long ago when my kids were young but have four grand baby boys now. The oldest are 2 & 3. They are a handful. It would be difficult to pull them behind me and draw my weapon.