Why I don't carry my M&P with a round in the chamber...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know very well that it would be strategically better to keep a round in the chamber... that's not the issue here. I'd like to be able to feel comfortable carrying my M&P chambered. I'm a stay-at-home-dad, so I am around my kids all day long... that's why I carry!

Is it possible for an M&P to fire if only one part breaks? or does it take two parts to break for the striker to be released? I'm not familiar enough with the internals of my M&P to answer this question.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask a crazy question here. Have you read the manual that came with the gun? It will explain how all the safeties function on your gun and why you should trust them. No one can give an iron clad 100% guarantee for the M&P or any other mechanical device, but your odds of winning the lottery whilst being struck by an asteroid would be better than your kids discharging a chamber loaded M&P in a holster that properly covers the trigger guard.

I can 100% guarantee you that the M&P will not fire without a round chambered, whether it's your kids hugging you or a felon attacking you (and your kids). As was already mentioned, how good are you at chambering a round one handed???

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another idea that hasn't been brought up is what if you experience a jam as you're racking that first round? At least with one in the chamber you have a chance to get a round off.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just carry a revolver?
I'd be more concerned trying to chamber a round while my life was in danger. Think of a gun in your face and then prepareing your gun to fire and getting a shot off. You see it all the time in the videos, guy pulls a gun with safety and keeps mashing the trigger wondering why the gun isn't firing all while taking rounds. KISS

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just skimmed the posts , so I dont know if this question has been asked....when you carry without one in the chamber , is it cocked , charged?
If so have you ever noticed it to become uncocked, discharge?
I carryed several guns ( XD ,M&P, Glock, 1911)around cocked and unloaded, for about a month each, as an experiment.
Not one of them became discharged or ..went off until I checked them.
I feel safe with one "loaded" ( or 2 ;) )

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't have kids around my house anymore. I keep my pistols at home without one in the chamber. I got a pistol grip shotgun with one in the chamber, safety on. I have had a surprise discharge a time or two in my life. Those experiences are not pleasant experiences. Luckily, no one got hurt. If I had kids around, I recommend not keeping one in the chamber. I try and listen to what my gut says, if it feels unsafe then I treat the situation accordingly. I believe you cannot be too safe with guns. I know all about the argument of having one in the chamber or not is potentially the difference between life and death. But all that been said, I have rationalized such that I'm not a police officer on duty or a soldier on the front line. I feel safe in my house with just a shotgun fully loaded. I know that Glocks will not fire if you keep your finger off the trigger. But like I said above, if I had little kids running around the house everyday, I would not keep a round in the chamber, no matter what kind of pistol it was. Just my .02.