Why I don't carry my M&P with a round in the chamber...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The average time of the violent encounter is 3.1 seconds.

And regardless if you have your Wyatt Earp 1.0s draw. He's still going to stab you for 1.0 seconds and before you even get a shot off. Then he's going to run off with a shiny new desert eagle. I'm not arguing it takes more time to chamber a round. But does it matter if someone has the jump on you anyways? .5 seconds to stab you vs 1.5 second draw vs 3.1 second draw. If you don't believe it, just give me your daily schedule and your route to work :madbox:. Don't underestimate the element of surprise.

@Glocktogo... You don't count. I can't jump you in a police station. And I don't need airbags/reflective tape. I just carry an airsoft gun and hope they don't call my bluff :flamed:

I'm just joking... you guys have convinced me that speed is more important than safety, so I'm just going to start carrying my 1911 cocked and unlocked. That extra flip of the safety could be the .1 second between life and death.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And regardless if you have your Wyatt Earp 1.0s draw. He's still going to stab you for 1.0 seconds and before you even get a shot off. Then he's going to run off with a shiny new desert eagle. I'm not arguing it takes more time to chamber a round. But does it matter if someone has the jump on you anyways? .5 seconds to stab you vs 1.5 second draw vs 3.1 second draw. If you don't believe it, just give me your daily schedule and your route to work :madbox:. Don't underestimate the element of surprise.

@Glocktogo... You don't count. I can't jump you in a police station. And I don't need airbags/reflective tape. I just carry an airsoft gun and hope they don't call my bluff :flamed:

I'm just joking... you guys have convinced me that speed is more important than safety, so I'm just going to start carrying my 1911 cocked and unlocked. That extra flip of the safety could be the .1 second between life and death.

RIIIGHT. Because flipping the safety = carrying a round unloaded.... Come back and post when you come down to reality. If a threat is within arm length and you don't have your gun pulled it's already too late. Now think if a threat is within arm length and NOW you have to rack a round?

That being said, a 1911 cocked and unlocked has about the same amount of safety as a glock imo.

ZMan762x51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a similar thought when I carry my striker fired pistol in my front pants pocket. When sitting down at dinner, the pistol is pointing towards whoever I'm sitting across from. I don't think anything would happen but I carry without a round in the chamber. I could better live with myself if I didn't get a shot off a fraction of a second earlier if needed vs. accidentally shooting a family member.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, it is an issue of trust. How must do you trust yourself, your firearm, and you ability to use it if needed? If you don't trust yourself, get some training. If you don't trust your firearm, it's time for a new one.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That being said, a 1911 cocked and unlocked has about the same amount of safety as a glock imo.
While I agree with the first part of your statement, the above quoted is not at all accurate. Even with a Schwartz or Series 80 FPS, the 1911 has a lighter, true-single-action, trigger with two less safeties in it than the Glock has.

For me, it is an issue of trust. How must do you trust yourself, your firearm, and you ability to use it if needed? If you don't trust yourself, get some training. If you don't trust your firearm, it's time for a new one.

And there's the answer you need.
/Thread

jmusteen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i atually tried carrying a glock with the chamber empty for awhile with trigger depresses for awile mostly because i wasn't sure of how the striker worked or how long the firing pin spring would last under tension, think the term for this kind of carry is mossad carry or something to that effect.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm no Wyatt Earp, just a dude. Yes, the time to chamber a round does matter. Do you know of any respected first rate trainers that advocate carrying chamber empty? The 3.1 second stat was from Tom Givens., and just so you know his students that had a firearm on them are undefeated. Two students didn't have a gun and died.

If you insist, I can give you my work schedule. If you surprise me in a threatening manner with a weapon, it will probably end poorly so proceed at your own risk.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If your still that worried over it, then I suggest you get a revolver, probably a 640 or 649. Nothing to grab, or cause the hammer to cock, and the only way it will fire is to pull the trigger. Both are about as K.I.S.S. as your likely to find.