Why? Simply why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
sheeple.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really! They make those things freeze proof now! As long as you dont leave a hose connected!

We do no such thing up here!

When I was younger we did not have the frost free type and all the homes had a secondary shut-off in the basement with a drain to bleed them out for winter!

15° below zero is no big deal on the frost free types.
Frost free if properly installed by the plumber. We woke up to water in the bedroom several years ago with a frost free hose bib frozen and broken. Outside temps had been hovering around zero for a couple of days. Cut open the sheet rock, to discover the 12" extension had been installed with the tube bent upward to match the hole drilled from outside. It couldn't drain, and there was zero insulation in that wall where the copper pipe came out of the slab. Had to use a pneumatic hammer drill to chip out the concrete so some new copper and a new hose bib could be installed that would drain. Shoved it full of insulation, and built a nice looking access door from some trim boards to allow future access if ever needed.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Local news stations telling people how to dress, drive, prepare for cold snap they say is coming.

Ask yourself how many people need to hear that and has no knowledge of what to do.

I had a shake my head ask why moment.
Since I have lived in places where it really gets cold, local preparations are amusing.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in my young and stupid days I lived in Mid Michigan. Some of the coldest weather anyone in Oklahoma can imagine if the weather conspires to create low Temps. After a dull Saturday night at a bar I decided to walk home around midnight, my buddy didn't want to leave. It was 20 + below, 50 below with wind chill. I was wearing hiking boots, a lightweight winter jacket, jeans, a sweater, lined leather gloves and a simple wool hat. 2nd coldest walk of my life. 25 minutes after leaving I arrived home. Point is dress appropriately, keep moving and keep your head covered one can survive cold weather. The news makes everything an apocalypse.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think part of the reason why they are falling over themselves right now is the fact that they were so behind on all of this. Usually they start talking about a freeze a week in advance, but this time they are acting like this is a sudden and once in a lifetime weather event.

Sounds like sensationalism ala Weather Channel. Glad I watch my weather on youtube and check the weather sites every once in awhile. My knees don't hurt yet when the weather is about to turn but I'm working on it.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frost free if properly installed by the plumber. We woke up to water in the bedroom several years ago with a frost free hose bib frozen and broken. Outside temps had been hovering around zero for a couple of days. Cut open the sheet rock, to discover the 12" extension had been installed with the tube bent upward to match the hole drilled from outside. It couldn't drain, and there was zero insulation in that wall where the copper pipe came out of the slab. Had to use a pneumatic hammer drill to chip out the concrete so some new copper and a new hose bib could be installed that would drain. Shoved it full of insulation, and built a nice looking access door from some trim boards to allow future access if ever needed.
Noted a similar situation being constructed when our new house was being built. Before the drywall was installed, I noticed that the water pipes in the walls going to the outside bibs(faucets) were wrapped in insulation protecting them from the available heat inside the house! I fixed it right away. Now the insulation is all between the pipes and the outside, giving the pipes access to the heat inside the house through the drywall. I believe it is a much better setup.

No other pipes in our house are on/in outside walls.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom