Why such a short gun season?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi there, I just moved up into Oklahoma from Texas and while trying to find a hunting lease here I discovered the gun season is incredibly short. I have asked around but nobody seems to have a good answer for why this is.

I plan on learning to use a crossbow over the summer and actually try to find a lease for next year, but I am still very curious as to why the gun season is so short, and if there has been any talks on extending it in the future.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short? Try Kansas, Ohio, or anywhere back east or in the Cornbelt. Not only are they as short or shorter, in many such states they are split seasons and totally avoid the rut.

Texas is a "unique" state. I have my own opinions about the deer management in Texas. People in favor of the long gun season like Texas like to talk about "opportunity", but in reality there are strict limits on antlered deer to go along with long gun season. Texas has jack for public hunting land. The hunting business is huge in Texas. The restrictions on bucks coupled with the extremely long gun season are two factors that allow higher prices for leases and guided hunts on ranches. That's my opinion anyways.

I know my opinion is not popular on a forum centered around guns, but I would be in favor of gun seasons like some of the Cornbelt states have. Keep them short and more importantly, keep them out of the rut. Keeping gunpowder out of the rut would do more for helping increase the quality of bucks than telling people what the minimum spread must be before you can take a shot at a buck like Texas does. I've hunted every gun season since I was 11 years old and like it as much as the next guy, but it has its own set of problems I don't want to deal with for 2 months a year, and I don't want to see our hunting land opportunity go the way of Texas. Bow season is 115 days and you can use an x-bow now if you don't wanna be a bow guy. Good 'nough IMO.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem with the length of rifle. Now that I have a bow to hunt with I'm not limited. Its more about hunting that getting something in my crosshairs to kill. You are more than likely never going to find a reason for the short season.

You will probably get the same arguement that proponents of the crossbow restriction lift this year(or was it last year) faced.

I'm just glad we are allowed to use rifles. I couldn't imagine having to leave the .308 at the house while draging the slug gun out of the safe.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have to agree with ridgehunter, remember back when rifle alternated every other year with BP and there was a week closed to all hunting during the "rut"?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to agree with ridgehunter, remember back when rifle alternated every other year with BP and there was a week closed to all hunting during the "rut"?
Yes I remember and I sure agree with what ridge had to say..I lived in Texas for a couple of years and my brother-in-law always told me that come deer season you'll see how many friends you really have..Didn't take long to realize the answer was ZERO...

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind the short rifle season, but I want a damn late season muzzleloader hunt, dammit!

Word, son. Word.

Keep the inline season in October and give us a 9 day caplock/flintlock open-sights season in December or January a la what Pennsylvania has. That would encourage people to take up a dying form of shooting/hunting they otherwise wouldn't, plus it would be wicked awesome.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09354/1022314-358.stm

Latest posts

Top Bottom