wild boar moving?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to do some bear hunting. I'd definitely pay for a bear tag if I could get on some!

We didn't get any hogs Saturday. The place we were going to hunt, with the large herd, apparently they had moved and weren't there anymore. My brother-in-law heard about another place from a buddy. Got about a hundred chiggers and 4 rattle-headed-copper-moccasins. Killed two of those. It turns out we were in the wrong place. Don't know if my brother in law got bad directions or if he just got them wrong. Didn't find out we were on private land until we went to leave and got stuck. Had to get a neighbor to pull us out with his backhoe. It was pretty rough country, brush chest high, so thick you could barely walk through it, stickers, thorns, tore both legs of my BDU's.

We found where some had been bedding down, tracks of at least one sow (around 250-300#) with some babies, places that they had wallowed (water was still muddy), so we weren't but just a few minutes behind them, but we never saw or heard them. There were beavers in the area. It was NW of Dewar, by Henryetta.

So I was a little disappointed, but it was still fun.

We did run on a bit of luck though. It turns out there are 4 NWR's (national wildlife refuges) between Okmulgee and Henryetta that don't allow hunting of any type...EXCEPT for bow...for one 19 day period between black powder and rifle season (nov 1-19th). You can only get a special permit to hunt these areas one day per year. No cameras, no baiting, no spikes/cleats/screw-in steps/or anything that would harm a tree. My brother in law has always missed it (got the day wrong, or been out of town), so we lucked out because he had told me about it, but thought it was this coming Saturday. We just happened to see a dozen cars lined up at this wildlife station on our way to the hunting spot, so we stopped on our way back and got our permits. He said if anyone gets a trophy dear this year, it will come out of these places. A friend of his got an 11pt, 140-class buck last year in the spot we are going to hunt, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Also may have a line on another place to hog hunt. Got a friend of a friend trying to get me a key to the place. Supposed to have a herd of 50+ and they have been getting into a guys pasture and have killed a couple of his cows, so he wants to get rid of them. Hope I can help him out.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supposed to have a herd of 50+ and they have been getting into a guys pasture and have killed a couple of his cows, so he wants to get rid of them. Hope I can help him out.

Hogs killing cows? Can't say I have ever heard of that before. I think I might like to witness that! I'd figure there was a better chance the cows were already dead when the hogs stumbled upon them and went to eatin. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe they got after a small calf. I don't know all of the details, only that the hogs are there and the land owner wants to get rid of them. Heard one guy actually chased them down in his 4WD and ran over 3-4. Nice way to tear up a 4WD though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom