Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't save the ribs. What I do is cut the meat out of the ribs for burger. Its not much, but I like to get what I can off the carcass

This is what we do as well. all the bits that are left over on the carcass like rib meat, meat around the spine, usually the upper neck etc. . . all burger (and usually the tastiest too!)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That rabbit looks tasty.
I salted some der meat and cured it in the cold and I will say you need to trim off the fat.. the thing tasted like the fat smells.
Even after smoking and making jerky the thing tasted like fat...I tried to cover the flavor with the smoke..But these were deboned smaller pieces.
Very salty..but I do not like a lot of salt.

Deer fat is horrid stuff. It's what makes venison gamey. It ALL gets trimmed off when we process. When we need fat, like in burger, we add beef suet back into the mix in measured amounts. Works great, gives nice juicy burgers without masking the venison taste. Our kids prefer Venison burgers over beef burgers - that tells you how gamey it is (or isn't)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer fat is horrid stuff. It's what makes venison gamey. It ALL gets trimmed off when we process. When we need fat, like in burger, we add beef suet back into the mix in measured amounts. Works great, gives nice juicy burgers without masking the venison taste. Our kids prefer Venison burgers over beef burgers - that tells you how gamey it is (or isn't)

Mine is mixed with Pork Fat, and we haven't bought a single pound of ground beef in the 26 years we have been married. Eating the store bought stuff at others homes just doesn't taste as good as ground deer or elk.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a frog leg recipe that some asked for.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_07_eb7dc45206905421fee94e6909429275.jpg
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_07_8811d25ae6ec5011aba4a03a4d47dd49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be more concerned where they were raised in China. In Vietnam, my understanding is the catfish are raised in human sewage then sold to the US consumers. Bon appichit:nolike:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess our cooking sticky disappeared. Whipped up some venison hot links this past week from a new recipe and got them on the smoker this weekend. I enjoy making sausage more than just about anything I can think of. It gets painful towards the end, but pulling those beauties off the smoker makes it all worthwhile.

The seasonings
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7320.JPG

The players on the field. Do not like a dry sausage, and when using a lean meat like venison I up the fat. Started off with 7 lbs trimmed venison, 4 lbs pork fat from the butcher (it was pretty fatty, meatiness of pork from butcher varies), 3 lbs bacon ends. Bacon ends kick it up a notch IMO.
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7322.JPG

Mixed. Insulated rubber gloves, no other way to do it manually without freezing your digits off.
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7323.JPG

Notice that butt was stuffed! (deep in the jeans she's wearing...)
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7333.JPG

Packed
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7337.JPG

The money shot
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_IMG_7340.JPG

Got plenty of heat, certainly not for those northerners that "don't like hot stuff." Good flavor, good snap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom