Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the grilled duck breasts an few more steps and found my new favorite!

1. Marinade and grill over wood (hickory is my favorite)
2. Let cool and slice thin.
3. Marinade once more in a dipping sauce. I love the Shanghai Sweet sauce at Homeland. It goes like Peking Duck. Their Caribbean Jerk is great too but spicy for some.

Once that covers the meat well, I dehydrated it until most of the moisture is out but not overly done.

The end result is a delicious duck that is sweet and semi sticky like candy. I call it Duck Candy!

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_01_05_caa79232227fdd3a2490147f7f46745b.jpg
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_01_05_ce274981b183512e103bfa9cc9e4fe4e.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get tired of the ol jalapeno, wrapped in bacon recipes for most everything and like to change it up a little. If you want some good recipes, go to sportingchef.com and browse through all the recipes. There are some great recipes in there. Last night I cooked up some duck for my ol lady.

6 duck breasts
1 c. orange juice, or any kind of citrus juice you like
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1/3 c. red wine
a few cloves of garlic, diced (I love garlic, so I used a bunch. If your using garlic out of a jar, double the amount called for. Always use fresh if available)
few sprigs of fresh rosemary

Combine ingredients and let it sit overnight in nonreactive container (plastic or glass), I like plastic bags so that you can remove all the air and meat is surrounded by yummy goodness. Take the leftover marinade and reduce it down, until it is a thick sauce. Recipe called for searing and finishing in the oven, but I grilled mine, as I love grilling. Grill rare/medium-rare and let meat sit for five minutes. Slice breasts into thin strips and drizzle with reduction sauce. I served it over wild rice with a 12 year Macallan to wash it down. The woman was quite pleased.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Step 1 complete, 15lb butt salted and in the refrigerator for three days. Next will be to season and wrap in cheesecloth. Then it will hang in the storm cellar for a couple months.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141224_114445_zpsnaxofjuh.jpg

This interests me.

Is this the start of a ham?

Dry aging?

Thought you had to have a "cure" to make a ham? Dunno. We need help here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Was going to update this last week. Followed the instructions on that recipe, but didn't like the way is was going......looking, smelling, etc. So I trimmed the outside and ground up the rest. Searched several other recipes for the same, and NONE of them finished up their article with how good it turned out except for one, this one below, and he did things a little different than I did.

http://thebigfatmushroomhunter.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/venison-prosciutto/

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fixed a winner last night, first time I had ever cooked it. Got a few rabbits this weekend, so I made up some rabbit fricasee. I would change a few things on this recipe. After frying rabbit, it took a considerable amount more oil to make the roux. This is a french/cajun recipe and it did not call for any cayenne pepper. I added it to mine after tasting. It is very similar to etouffee, so in my opinion it needed a kick. Great recipe though, hearty and gf loved it.

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
2 rabbits, rinsed and cut into 8 pieces each (I used hindquarters only from 4 rabbits)
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts separated)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock or broth, plus more if necessary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Cooked white rice, for serving

In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the rabbit pieces with the Creole seasoning and, working in batches if necessary, cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the rabbit to a plate lined with paper towels and reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour to the oil in the pot and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is a golden brown color, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes, white parts of the green onions and the garlic and cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Return the rabbit to the pot and return to a boil. Add the thyme and salt, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until the rabbit is very tender, about 2 hours, adding more broth or water, if necessary, if the sauce gets too thick.

When the rabbit is tender and you are ready to serve the stew, add the green parts of the green onions and parsley and cook for 5 minutes. Serve the rabbit with the gravy over hot white rice.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_fricasee.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That rabbit looks tasty.
I salted some der meat and cured it in the cold and I will say you need to trim off the fat.. the thing tasted like the fat smells.
Even after smoking and making jerky the thing tasted like fat...I tried to cover the flavor with the smoke..But these were deboned smaller pieces.
Very salty..but I do not like a lot of salt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom