Wilson mags in a Kimber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Buy the Kimber mags. I purchased a Wilson mag since they are claimed to be the best in my Ultra Carry II it hangs a round or 2 every mag! My Kimber mag has never FTF. They may be great in some 1911's but my Kimber they're crap.

Maybe in yours (mine is a CDP). I have 6 Wilson 47D mags that I have never had a problem with and I shoot mine a bunch....

Reaction score
Looks like the mag is about a half a bullet width too short to feed the round into the chamber.

Bizarre to say the least - I cannot imagine that Wilson's guns are over 2/10ths off on the mag release cutout, or even 1/10th of that difference (2/100ths), for that matter. So my only guess would be that those particular mags were made wrong - they should function flawlessly in Wilson, Kimber, or otherwise.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something is definately strange. I've never heard of a problem with Wilsons in a Kimber. I have 6 of them, and they function flawlessly in my Pro Elite.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well, I just got off the phone with Scott from Wilson Combat. He works in customer service. You know. Taking care of customer issues. He told me, and I quote:

"You have a Kimber."

I said, "Oookay, well the what difference does that make?"

He said "Well Kimbers aren't up to the quality standards of the industry and they don't polish their feedramps properly".

I said, "So you're telling me that if I want my Wilsons to work, I need to spend 3 times the money on a carry gun that's gonna get all scratched up abused to use my $35 magazines in."

He said "Yep".

I said, "Thanks you've been a great help".

HOW'S THAT FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE?

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sure it isn't Bush's fault? :)

I don't buy it. Mine does the same thing but been 100% with the Kimber mags for the last 5 years.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the mage is about a half a bullet width too short to feed the round into the chamber.

Okay, Wilson's get their legendary feeding reliability because they "float" the round to the chamber, ie, they (normally) sit and feed higher than other mags, so the round has less, if any, contact with anything other than the open mouth of the chamber.

Compare the height of the seated mag and top round in your Kimber as compared to your other 1911s.

You can polish your own throat and chamber with a felt bob, a Dremel, and jewelers' rouge. If the seating problem requires more than that, you want someone professional to take a look.:saywhat:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well, I just got off the phone with Scott from Wilson Combat. He works in customer service. You know. Taking care of customer issues. He told me, and I quote:

"You have a Kimber."

He said "Well Kimbers aren't up to the quality standards of the industry and they don't polish their feedramps properly".

I said, "So you're telling me that if I want my Wilsons to work, I need to spend 3 times the money on a carry gun that's gonna get all scratched up abused to use my $35 magazines in."

He said "Yep".

I've used their ETM mags in my Kimber with no problems, but after that BS customer service reply I'll send my $ elsewhere.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you but this is really weird for Wilson Customer Service. They have always been nothing but first rate and polite with me, and I even have a Kimber as well and told them that. Good companies don't typically trash other companies.

Call back and ask for John Lahue.

Sometimes its how you approach the conversation. Don't start off with "your mags are a piece of crap".

UPDATE:

"You have a Kimber."

He said "Yep".

Latest posts

Top Bottom